Buffalo Meatballs in Puff Pastry Cups – Delicious buffalo sauce meatballs stuffed inside baked puff pastry cups and topped with blue cheese dressing!
Hello, my dear friends. Please meet yours and mine Superbowl chow! ⬆ 🙌 🍴
Before you say it, let me clarify: I know that “super” and “bowl” should be two separate words, but the NFL could actually go after me for using their trademarked term on my public blog… *eye roll*
That’s not all I know… I know a few more things. Here they are: I know that the Bears are not on Sunday’s schedule, but that the Falcons and Patriots ARE.
Since I could care less for who wins out of those two – DA Bears 4EVA! – I am going to be rooting for the winning team. 😀 GO ______! ⬅ will fill in the blank once I find out who won.
Onto more important things. Have you got a food menu set for the big game?! Please tell me NO! And that you were waiting on me to introduce you to these little guys??
After a good many years in the food blog service, in the kitchen every day trying to come up with new stuff all the time, I think I have come to a realization: my grandma was right – everything’s been done, already!
Seeing how popular my Chunky Chicken Salad Cups are even after all these years, I wanted to do a little spin on those with puff pastry cups and meatballs. I got to work, made it happen, was happy with the end result, and then BAM! As I was mindlessly scrolling down my Pinterest feed, there they were in all of their glory…MY buffalo meatballs inside puff pastry cups, all done and prepared by the Puff Pastry people themselves… 😲 SMH!
Ah well. Mine are better. YES, they are. Theirs were with marinara sauce – how original. 😏 😉
This is how we’re going to start on these little buffalo meatballs. First, I am going to need you to whip out your rolling pin, roll out that puff pastry dough and cut it up into 24 little squares. You will then transfer those little squares to a mini muffin pan and bake ’em for 15-ish minutes.
While all that is coming together, you’ll bust out some turkey meatballs – to make things easier, I used frozen low-fat, turkey meatballs that I picked up at Kroger, but if you want to make it all happen from scratch, please hop on over to my recipe for Turkey Swedish Meatballs. Just make the meatballs, not the sauce, m’kay? Because THESE guys need to take a 15 minute hot bath with the deliciously spicy buffalo sauce.
Once all that is done, we will stuff each meatball inside each little puff pastry cup and top them with my homemade and lightened-up blue cheese dressing!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Buffalo Meatballs in Puff Pastry Cups
FOR THE PUFF PASTRY AND MEATBALLS
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet , thawed
- 24 frozen , fully cooked Reduced Fat Turkey Meatballs
- 1 cup hot buffalo sauce (Frank's Red Hot is what I like to use)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
FOR THE BLEU CHEESE DRESSING
- 3/4- cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat crumbled blue cheese
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Unfold the thawed pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll the pastry sheet into a 10 x 15-inch rectangle.
- Cut the sheet into 24 small squares.
- Press the pastry squares into 24 mini muffin pan cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
In the meantime, prepare the meatballs.
- Combine hot sauce and apple cider vinegar in a nonstick pan.
- Add 24 turkey meatballs to the sauce and bring to a boil; cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer; cook for 15 minutes.
Prepare the Lightened-Up Bleu Cheese Dressing
- Combine yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, bleu cheese, salt, and ground pepper in a mixing bowl; whisk everything together until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer puff pastry shells to a serving plate.
- Place 1 meatball inside each puff pastry cup.
- Drizzle each meatball with some of the hot sauce left over in the pan.
- Top each meatball with 1 teaspoon bleu cheese dressing.