pop tarts wp Nutella Pop Tarts

Well.

I finally had a chance today to open up my site and see if anyone liked my easy-peasy pop tarts. Imagine the look on my face when I saw that not one person had even clicked on today’s post. It’s been “Live” for 12 hours!! Um…so I thought… The first words that came out of my mouth were, “Wow…nobody likes Nutella Pop Tarts?!?”.

After a few moments of confusion, I noticed that today’s recipe wasn’t even posted! I thought I had this blog post scheduled to go live at 5:00 this morning. I could have sworn that I hit that “schedule” button a couple of days ago.

nutella pop tarts wp Nutella Pop Tarts But, in my defense, you are “looking” at a Mom that has not slept much in over a week. That could be the reason why I think I did something, but really, I didn’t.

Ana, our 3 year-old, has strep throat, and our almost 8-month old has the flu. Boooooo!

I am thinking about flu shots, now. I have always been against them, but I’m not sure anymore. I hate seeing my babies like this. Argh. Are you for or against flu shots?

pop tarts 3 wp Nutella Pop Tarts

Oh yeah, the Pop Tarts!

Do you have some pie crust sitting around? Store-bought is fine, too. How about a jar of Nutella? Or a jar of jam? You do?!? Well, then, go make these! They will take you all of, oh I don’t know, 20 minutes! 30 tops!

Nutella Pop Tarts

Yield: 6 to 8 pop tarts

nutella pop tarts wp Nutella Pop Tarts

• 2 refrigerated pie crusts (You can use store-bought or homemade - my recipe makes two (2) pie crusts)
  • 1 cup Nutella
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • Turbinado Sugar

• Preheat oven to 350.
  • Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out 1 pie-dough portion to about 1/8-inch thickness. Repeat with the second pie-dough.
  • Cut out 6 to 8 rectangles (around 2-inches wide by 3-inches tall) from each pie crust.*You can reroll the dough-scraps into 1 or 2 more tarts.
  • Transfer the rectangles to a baking sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper; leave 2 inches of space in between.
  • Spread a heaping tablespoon of Nutella on half of the rectangles.
  • Using a fork, lightly prick a couple of holes on the rest of the rectangles.
  • Place the pricked rectangles on top of the Nutella.
  • Crimp the edges of the tarts with a fork.
  • Whisk the egg yolk and water in a small bowl; brush each pop tart with the egg wash.
  • Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of each pop tart.
  • Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Let cool for a few minutes and serve.
 Nutella Pop Tarts

pixel Nutella Pop Tarts

32 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. phoebe February 15, 2014 at 9:27 AM - Reply

these are the bomb!! I made them heart shaped for Valentine’s Day. so yummy!

• Katerina Petrovska February 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM - Reply

That is great!! So glad you enjoyed them! Happy belated Valentine’s Day!

2. Mandy February 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM - Reply

These look mouthwatering!! And my 7 year old will eat Nutella on just about anything, so I can’t wait to try these! Can you tell me if you’ve tried to freeze them? I was just thinking of making 10 or so up and then freezing them for a quick on the go breakfast for him! Thanks for sharing!

• Katerina Petrovska February 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM - Reply

Hi Mandy! I have never tried freezing these because they go quite quickly around here… :-D I think they will be fine. I’ve made other similar things with that crust and it was fine. I would just wait until they are completely cooled, at room temperature. Also, what works best for all things that I bake and freeze, is wrapping said-food in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil… it tastes like fresh out of the oven! :)

3. Jennie April 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM - Reply

Nutella…yum! Flu shots…no way!

4. Crystal S February 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM - Reply

So sorry for the babies…I hated when mine were sick and now that they are 22 and 19 I still don’t like it. I definitely get the flu shot. I work in the medical industry and see so much yuk without it. FACT: you don’t get sick from the flu shot….if you do you already had something brewing.

PopTarts and Nutella……AWESOME> will be making these…
    Love your blog.

5. Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) February 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM - Reply

The one time I got a flu shot I got sick and I never get sick…so I haven’t been back for one since. My mom swears by them, though. Hope your little ones are feeling better by now.

Now about these tarts…Pop tarts were a guilty pleasure in my 20s and I wouldn’t say no if someone offered me one now. But if there was a plate of these in the vicinity, I’d run for them! :)

6. Valerie February 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM - Reply

Yum!! These pop tarts look Amazing!

I have never had a flu shot- but I won’t say that I’ve never had the flu because then I will get the flu…see where I’m going here? :D

7. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM - Reply

Kate, so sorry to hear about your babies being sick. Hope they’re getting much better! LOVE this Nutella idea for pop tarts. And, I am with you…totally against flu vaccine. xo

8. kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts January 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM - Reply

Kate, I understand about post confusion! I was foolishly typing up posts in between games at my son’s wheelchair basketball tournament (hey, the gym had wifi . . .) and somehow posted instead of scheduling it for a few weeks later like I’d planned. So when someone commented on the post I was really freaked out until I realized what had happened.

I hope your babies are feeling better–I’m going to share this with a friend who just moved to Germany and doesn’t have a toaster. She can DIY her pop tarts!

9. Terra January 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM - Reply

Oh yum!!! I love homemade pop tarts, they are sooooo fabulous:-) I can only imagine the nutella addition is beyond YUM! Hugs, Terra

10. Anne January 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM - Reply

these pop tarts sing to me. I can’t wait to make them for my kids. i wonder if i can slip in a few banana slices????As for the flu vaccine….it’s hard to say. you have to do what works best for you and your family. the oldest of my three had the flu once and spent his 4th birthday and then some, in the hospital with pneumonia. i couldn’t take seeing him suffer like that. All three of my children have nebulizers and because of that, I don’t take any chances and I get them vaccinated every year.

• Kate@Diethood January 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM - Reply

I bet that banana in there would be heavenly!! Okay, I need to do that next time. :)

I’m afraid of that darn “P” word. As soon as I hear pneumonia, I start to think about flu shots. And quarantine. :)

11. Laura Dembowski (@piesandplots) January 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM - Reply

I hope your kids are feeling better! I am a total germaphobe and terrified of getting sick, so I am definitely pro flu shot. It’s such a simple way to protect you and your family. I love homemade pop tarts. I bet Biscoff would be great in these too!

• Kate@Diethood January 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM - Reply

You’re right! Biscoff would be awesome!! Okay, I am going to remember to add bananas to my Nutella pop tarts, and then I am going to make my next batch with Biscoff. I want to start on that right now! :-D

12. Ramona January 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM - Reply

These pop tarts look so good! I’m sorry to hear your little ones are sick… it’s always hard on everyone. No sleep for Mom and sad little kids. Hope they get better fast. My entire family got the flu shot and we still got hit with the stomach bug going around. My kids were horribly sick for 2 days each. :(

• Lauren February 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM - Reply

Ramona – Just so you know, the flu shot is to protect against influenza, not the stomach bug! Sorry your family got sick though!!

13. Tasha January 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM - Reply

These look amazing… yum!

14. PolaM January 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM - Reply

Love this pop tarts! Why would you even buy those prepackaged ones?

15. Gourmantine January 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM - Reply

These are seriously gorgeous pop tarts, I mean is it possible not to love nutella?
    p.s. concerning flu shots, I am absolutely against. In the long run they do far more damage than benefit.

• Kate@Diethood January 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM - Reply

Hi sweetheart!!!
      Yep, all I have ever read about flu shots is that in the long run they do more damage than good… that’s why I am against them, too. I hope these kids just get better real soon!! :)

16. Stacy January 29, 2013 at 6:51 AM - Reply

I am definitely pro flu shot. It doesn’t cover every flu out there but I like to think it helps us avoid most of them or have a less severe case if we do catch it. Hope everyone is on the mend quickly.

As for your thinking you hit Schedule and nothing happened? Been there, done that and don’t even have sleep deprivation to blame.

Your pop-tarts look wonderful and, I am sure, better than anything that comes in a box!

17. I’m sorry about your sick kiddos. I hope they get better soon and that you manage to steer clear of both illnesses! Moms HAVE to be healthy.

the pop tarts look amazing. Of course, I’ll have to substitute the filling, but I’m loving the sugar sprinkled on the crust. I could just eat that and die happy.

18. Jamie January 29, 2013 at 2:08 AM - Reply

I may be the only blogger left who has never made homemade poptarts, yet growing up they were my ultimate comfort food. Love them. And yours look so perfect! Hope the kiddies are better soon!

19. Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM - Reply

Yum, these look so delish! I think I need one for a midnight snack :).

20. Jen @ Savory Simple January 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM - Reply

These are just gorgeous!

21. Kristy January 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM - Reply

My son is sitting with me and he wants one of these right now! “Oh yeah!” were his exact words. ;) As for flu shots, I used to be against them until Mr. N was born early. His lungs were so fragile so we started to get them. My husband also has asthma, so that’s a concern. Oddly enough, hubby did get the flu this past weekend despite having had the shot. Fortunately the rest of us seemed to have missed it. So is that thanks to the flu shot or the quarantine I put him on. Who knows.

• Kristy January 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM - Reply

Hope your babies are healthy soon!!!

22. Averie @Averie Cooks January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM - Reply

You went there. And they’re awesome. And I love Nutella and have like 3 jars b/c I am getting ready to make something with it. And now I see these…delish!

23. Nancy R January 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM - Reply

I am all for flu shots. Your dear little angels……I hope they are better soon.
    Love the idea of Nutella Pop Tarts.
    This is perfect for my daughter’s friends who are over for a play date next weekend.
    Thanks Kate. :-)

24. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen January 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM - Reply

I don´t know about flu shots, but I´m so pro nutella pop tarts! You made something that I had thought about making for the cafe, but just never happened. Love them!