DSC08253 thumb Macarons with Lemon Buttercream Filling

Once upon a day I spent a Sunday afternoon on the couch watching reruns of “A Different World”, “The Cosby Show”, and “Who’s the Boss”. The day would have been complete if I caught an episode of “Growing Pains”.

“As long as we got each other
We got the world spinnin’ right in our hands.
Baby you and me, we gotta be
The luckiest dreamers who never quit dreamin!”

(Random: I looooove theme songs.)

I don’t want to say it, it’s going to hurt, but I’m going to – those were the days!

Can’t believe I just quoted my mother, my aunts, my grandmothers, and Edith and Archie Bunker.

That’s not so bad, is it? I could’ve quoted Andrew Dice Clay and added a few colorful adjectives in there, too, but I’m going to remain a lady… damn it.

What does any of this have to do with macarons?

DSC08237 thumb Macarons with Lemon Buttercream Filling

Back in the day, my mom, once in a while, would make macarons, or Целуфки, on Sunday mornings, and we would have to wait until that night to have a few. And while waiting for the macarons to dry, my sister and I would watch all those abovementioned shows.

P.S. Pierre Herme, don’t worry, I’m going to keep my day job, but just for the record, Chuck’s recipe is the easiest I have ever found for macarons. Thanks, Chuck!

DSC08236 thumb Macarons with Lemon Buttercream Filling

Macarons with Lemon Buttercream Filling

(Adapted from Food Network)

(makes about 30 macarons)

Macarons with Lemon Buttercream Filling

Total Time: 24 hours, 00 minute

Yield: 30 cookies

For the Macarons
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 4 egg whites, divided, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • food color

• In a food processor, pulse together the almond flour and the powdered sugar.
  • Add in 2 egg whites to the almond mixture and process until smooth (the texture will be like almond paste).
  • Add in food coloring of your choice and continue processing until the color is all blended in
  • Put the mixture in a large bowl and set aside.
  • In a saucepan bring the water and sugar to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, or until a candy thermometer reads 110 degrees-celsius.
  • In the bowl of your electric mixer beat 2 egg whites until soft peaks form.
  • Slowly add in the hot syrup and continue beating until firm peaks form and the meringue has cooled.
  • With a spatula, gently fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the almond mixture.
  • Continue folding the meringue until completely incorporated.
  • Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Fit a piping bag with a 3/8-inch round tip and fill it with the macaron mixture.
  • Pipe the batter onto the baking sheets.
  • Let dry at room temperature for 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven at 275 F.
  • Bake the macarons for 20 minutes; rotate the baking sheet after 10 minutes for even baking.
  • In the meantime prepare the buttercream.
  • Set buttercream aside and remove macarons from oven and transfer to a cooling rack; do not remove from the parchment paper, yet.
  • After they have completely cooled, turn half of the caps on their backs and pipe about 1/2 teaspoon of the filling onto it and cover with another cap.
  • Once all of your macarons are assembled, put them in an airtight container, in the refrigerator and let them rest for another 24 hours.
 Macarons with Lemon Buttercream Filling

Click Here for the Buttercream Recipe

If you would like to learn the art of making Macarons, enter my friend Mardi’s giveaway at Eat.Live.Travel.Write. for a copy of “Mad About Macarons: Make Macarons like the French”, written by our talented friend, Jill Colonna!

I’m linking up with TidyMom – I’m Lovin’ It Fridays

pixel Macarons with Lemon Buttercream Filling

113 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Natalie November 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM - Reply

Did the inside of the macaron turn out nice and fluffy too?:)

2. Jessica May 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM - Reply

I had the same problem with the butter cream recipe… to the poster: you should really remove this recipe.

• Kate@Diethood August 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM - Reply

Thanks, Jessica, for your comment…I will reconsider. Have a great day!

3. Kate C April 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM - Reply

Same problem here with the buttercream : ( I’ve made swiss meringue buttercreams dozens of times always with success. I whipped the sugar mixture and 4 yolks + 1 whole egg for 10 minutes. It grew so big it was severely close to coming to the tippy top of my mixer bowl and overflowing. It was a lil more on the foamy side than fluffy but I knew was on the right path…until the next step. Like others – as soon as I added the butter – the mixture failed. It became the consistency of water. I popped it in the fridge for 15 minutes but no luck. It then went for a nap in the freezer. Because it hadn’t curdled I figured chilling it would be my best bet. The butter was cold, chuck into lil cubes, and added very slowly to the mixture (like 1 piece every 10 sec) so it could incorporate gradually. After a looooong rest in the freezer this mix is still water. My best guess is that the water to sugar ratio is off and this is severly lacking the amount of butter needed. French meringues use a thick syrup of sugar and water – heated until it reaches a soft ball stage. The combination of 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar produces watery results. Most recipes call for a 2:1 ration of sugar to water. That must be where all of us are going wrong. Although, it doesn’t explain how these measurements work out for you. Either way, I’m ditching this batch and going back to the testing lab. I’d try 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sugar next. This is definitely an issue with stability. A soft ball syrup and more butter would probably fix it.

4. sorina February 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM - Reply

many thanks for the recipe!!! I will try for shurly :)

5. Andrea September 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM - Reply

oh but on a good note- the flavor is DIVINE. I really want to get it to turn out right because I think it could be my most fave filling yet! So thanks :)

6. Andrea September 18, 2011 at 9:39 PM - Reply

Hello – I am having the same problem as the person commenting above me, amanda. I have followed eveyrthing you said – and just failed at it for the SECOND time. I heat the syrup… and had put my yolks and extra egg in my kitchen aid. Then with the whisk attachment start beating the eggs on medium speed and poured in the syrup. And let it beat in Medium for 10 mins. This time it started to get more fluffy, and looked like it was going to be successful. I made sure the mixture was cooled and quite fluffy then added my chilled butter straight out of the fridge and added it in little bits at a time along with my zest.. turned into a runny curdly goopy mess. Help!

• Andrea September 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM - Reply

I just tried it again today for a 3rd time. Made sure I beat my syrup and egg yolk mixture until it was really fluffy and cooled.. it looked AWESOME. Then I added the butter.. Little small cubes at a time. After about 1/4 of the total amount of butter called for, the mixture was turning into liquid. I do NOT get it. It shouldn’t be this hard. I’m frustrated :( Any help would be appreciated.

• Jennifer December 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM - Reply

I also tried to make the buttercream filling and it turned out a mess. Tried it twice and each time it was ruined. Why is this happening?

• Carls February 2, 2012 at 4:26 AM - Reply

Hey ladies, me too. Just made them tonight, all going well until I added the butter. So I thought “hang it, you’re already curdled, what’s the worst that could happen” and I put it on the stove. Direct heat. I even added lemon juice and a bit more butter – what the heck! Eventually it came together – when it cooled it was still a little runnier than I would have liked but flavour = delicious AND texture = restored. Kate – help us out? =)

7. amanda September 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM - Reply

hi kate so this is my second attempt at making this buttercream. i’ve followed everything to a T including the time and as soon as i add the butter it turns into this goopy mess and it curdles:S its cold butter just like you said.
    HELP!

• Kate@Diethood September 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM - Reply

Hi Amanda!! Did you add in all the yolks + one more whole egg? If you can, please send me an email to katerina@diethood.com and we’ll figure it out. Thank you!

8. Michelle August 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM - Reply

These macarons look wonderful…I’ve been wanting to try and make these for months now and after seeing your post I am inspired! I’m going to make a pink batch for my bridal shower this Saturday! One question, I was thinking of using a different ‘flavor’ other than lemon, could you suggest something that might compliment the macarons/buttercream instead. Also, for the buttercream when you say to add an additional egg, does this mean the whole egg or just the yolk again?

Thanks!

• Kate@Diethood August 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM - Reply

Michelle, I highly recommend filling the pink macarons with chocolate ganache… they are HEAVENLY!

The whole entire egg…yolk and white. :)

9. Firefly August 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM - Reply

Oh my, they look so delicious :) wish I had a huge bowl of them right now while I’m on the net and watching TV :P ROFL hey I’m multitasking here LOL

10. Terra August 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM - Reply

I am on a mac quest! My macs still are struggling, they have just little baby feet…makes me sad… I just bought a thermometer to check my oven, it is old, probably out of calibration:-p
    I think you macs look fantastic!! I love the lemon buttercream:-)
    Hugs, Terra

11. Emily@SoDomesticated August 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM - Reply

Beautiful photos! Your macarons look wonderful!

12. Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM - Reply

Your macarons look fantastic and the lemon buttercream sounds wonderful!

13. Imwaytoobusy August 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM - Reply

Oh, I think I may end up having ask of those theme songs stuck in my head tonight ;) …but you are right, those were the days! I’m buying that this may be one of the easiest macaron recipes you’ve seen. Even I might be trusted with this one…I think.

Love lemon! These look wonderful.

14. maureen August 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM - Reply

it’s a lot of hard work! great job!

15. Denise @ Creative Kitchen August 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM - Reply

Love macarons….but also had never heard of them until I started food blogging. Haven’t attempted to make them yet….but am excited. Yours look wonderful!

We’ve introduced our girls to many of the shows we used to watch: Cosby show, I love Lucy, Gilligan’s Island, Full House and many more. I want to find Fantasy Island and Love Boat. That was our Saturday night line up!

16. briarrose August 18, 2011 at 2:24 PM - Reply

Such perfect little macarons. Love that lemon filling…so fresh.

17. Liz August 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM - Reply

Everything not Everyone….LOL. But that would be nice, too :)

18. Liz August 18, 2011 at 6:55 AM - Reply

STUNNING! You make everyone SO gorgeous! Great post, my friend!

19. Marsha @ The Harried Cook August 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM - Reply

Beautiful post, gorgeous pictures and the fact that these gorgeous macarons have lemon in them seals the deal for me :) Thanks for sharing, Kate!

20. Sonia August 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM - Reply

what do you mean when you said “Bake the macarons for 20 minutes; rotate the baking sheet after 10 minutes for even baking.” Rotate as in turn it around? Im sorry if it’s a stupid question.

• Kate@Diethood August 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM - Reply

Hi Sonia!

Yes… as in turn the baking sheet around so that the macarons are baked evenly. Hope that helps!

21. marla August 17, 2011 at 4:54 PM - Reply

Are these macaroons fun or what!! Love the photos too :)

22. Meagan August 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM - Reply

Gorgeous! Correctly executed macarons are such a challenge and you pulled it off perfectly!! I’m drooling over your lovely macarons! Cheers and congrats on another well-deserved Top 9!!! :)

23. Marie, the EpicureanPiranha August 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM - Reply

These look delicious! I love almost anything that’s lemon falvoured ~ so fresh & zesty. Congratulations on being selected for the Foodbuzz top 9 ♥

~ marie

Hope you’ll have a look at my blog when you get the chance!

24. Sandi August 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM - Reply

Congrats on Top 9…well deserved!

25. sonia zapata August 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM - Reply

If you can’t find almond flour, can you use regular flour?

• Kate@Diethood August 17, 2011 at 8:47 AM - Reply

Hi Sonia! Unfortunately, no…it has to be almond flour. Almond flour is blanched, ground almonds…nothing special or different. :) If you can find some almonds, blanch them and then give them a whirl in a food processor and there’s your almond flour. Hope that helps!

26. Claudie August 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM - Reply

Your macarons are beautiful! I like their color and love the idea of having them with lemon buttercream.
    Speaking of Pierre Hermé… not all of his macarons are that great. Being a huge lover of macarons ever since I was a child, the first thing I do whenever I go back to France, is to have some. Last December, being in Paris for a few days, I got some from his shop, of course. Out of 5, I maybe was impressed by 2. The others were “Ok” :)

27. Peggy August 17, 2011 at 5:31 AM - Reply

Your macarons look beautiful! You definitely jogged my memory a bit because I used to watch those shows all of the time!

28. Ridwan August 17, 2011 at 5:16 AM - Reply

Congrats on top 9,You deserved it,macarons look delish with lemon buttercream, a presentation is amazing :)

29. Ellie@fitforthesoul August 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM - Reply

wow these look beautifulllll!! And lemon flavored baked goods are some of my MOST fave. I tried macaron once, and wasn’t actually a fan. It was too sweet for me! :P But perhaps I just need to try a better one, and this one looks really good. Great job!

30. Kim Bee August 17, 2011 at 12:59 AM - Reply

Congrats on top 9!

31. Jamie @ Wokintime August 17, 2011 at 12:51 AM - Reply

OMG I was in love with Kirk Cameron and I wanted to be Alyssa milano so bad.

I can’t keep up with all of your creations! Your maracrons look amazing. Congrats on the Top 9!

32. Russell at Chasing Delicious August 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM - Reply

I never get tired of macarons and these look incredible! Gorgeous shots too. Yum!

33. Sandra's Easy Cooking August 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM - Reply

Yes , those were the days:))) love all those shows, even if I watched it like million times:)) You macarons look fantastic, very flavorful!

34. tandteacake August 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM - Reply

These look divine! So lemony… I’m wondering whether macaron can actually be refreshing… never had or made lemon ones.
    the sitcoms! the sitcoms! The Cosby Show has always been an all time favourite. I still like watching reruns whenever I get the chance.

Tobias

35. Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com August 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM - Reply

It’s a shock when our parent’s words come out of our mouths, and even more so that they come out so easily! Time marches on… But on to sweeter thoughts, these macarons are too good! Lemon butter cream, yes please!

36. kankana August 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM - Reply

the filling is making me drool. Lemon and butter cream .. yummy and the color is so pretty!

37. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz August 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM - Reply

I agree, those were the days….of TV at least. Watched all those shows. And Hurray for choosing Chuck Hughes from my city, have yet to try his restaurants too $$$ but I have met him at a foodie event. The macarons looks fab my friend!

38. Tiffany August 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM - Reply

Beautiful macarons! And you’re watching the Cosby Show tooooooooooo????!!! I’m on season 4 and loving every minute of it. I’ve gotten two of my friends hooked too. LOL :D

39. Megan @ Pip and Ebby August 16, 2011 at 1:05 PM - Reply

I LOVE those old theme songs, as well. I actually find them swimming in my head quite a bit, strangely. :)

Your macarons look absolutely PERFECT. Yum yum yum.

40. Roxana GreenGirl August 16, 2011 at 9:08 AM - Reply

making macarons is an art I still fear …
    Yours turned out perfect!! love the lemon touch!

41. Sandra August 16, 2011 at 7:33 AM - Reply

Yes those were the days and you are too funny! On another note your macaroons look so light. Lemon buttercream is perfect for them.

42. Elyse@ The Cultural Dish August 16, 2011 at 6:53 AM - Reply

Omg! I love lemon flavor so much! These macarons look so freakin good! And don’t feel bad… I love those shows too! :)

43. Parsley Sage August 16, 2011 at 6:24 AM - Reply

Outstanding! These turned out beautifully and perfect for a Meathead marathon :) Buzzed!

44. Val August 16, 2011 at 2:57 AM - Reply

I love lemon flavoured treats. Never tackled the macaron but this recipe doesn make it look extremely approachable. Thanks!

45. Kim Bee August 16, 2011 at 1:12 AM - Reply

Gorgeous recipe and pictures. I think even I could do this one so going to bookmark it. I love the tv show references. Love the good old days.

46. Baking Serendipity August 15, 2011 at 11:23 PM - Reply

These look fantastic! Sometimes when I need an escape, I watch shows from my childhood. It’s the perfect fix :)

47. torviewtoronto August 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM - Reply

filling and macaroon look delicious

48. Jenny @ Savour the Senses August 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM - Reply

These look so delicious! I have never tried making macaroons, maybe now is the time…

49. Magic of Spice August 15, 2011 at 6:54 PM - Reply

I could never make these but I do enjoy eating them :) Love your flavors choices :)

50. Nelly Rodriguez August 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM - Reply

Love these, they look awesome!

51. Cassie @ Bake Your Day August 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM - Reply

I really love your stories. And by the way, I love TV theme songs too. Your lemon buttercream sounds so dreamy, the macaroons are so pretty too!

52. Emily Malloy @Cleanliness August 15, 2011 at 6:04 PM - Reply

Absolutely stunning.

53. Happy When Not Hungry August 15, 2011 at 6:01 PM - Reply

Love all those shows especially Growing Pains too! Your lemon macaroons look amazing!

54. Lindsey@Lindselicious August 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM - Reply

Awww I loved growing pains too! Now I have that song stuck in my head though… LOL These look so yummy, I love anything mini and lemon!

55. kitchenarian August 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM - Reply

Now I really want to make some macarons (and watch re-runs on tv)!
    Your macarons are beautiful.

56. Carolyn August 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM - Reply

I keep meaning to attempt macarons, but haven’t yet gotten around to it. But thanks for finding me the easiest recipe! Yours look wonderful.

57. something_good August 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM - Reply

Yes, this recipe sounds easy, piece of cake :)). I keep encouraging myself to bake some for our anniversary party next week and read all recipes I can find … (especially Jill’s :)). Excellent photos, Kate!

58. RavieNomNoms August 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM - Reply

Buttercream is one of my favorite things and then put lemon with it?! Sounds amazing. Gorgeous pictures!

59. Steph@stephsbitebybite August 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM - Reply

I have always wanted to make macarons! These look outstanding!

60. Tina@flourtrader August 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM - Reply

Your pictures here are stunning and I would love to taste one of your lemony gems right now! Yum! Well done.

61. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. August 15, 2011 at 1:05 PM - Reply

Those look so good! And your pictures are lovely!

62. Curt August 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM - Reply

Mmmm Mmm, I could just sit there and eat the lemon buttercream. That sounds delicious.

My wife makes a lemon icing for a cake that I have to always lick the bowl after she’s done.

• Kate@Diethood August 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM - Reply

Curt, I couldn’t stop licking my fingers either… thank goodness there was a bit of buttercream left-over. :)

63. Tina (PinayInTexas) August 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM - Reply

I haven’t tried making macarons myself, so I’m in awe of how lovely your macarons are, Kate!

64. Hester aka The Chef Doc August 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM - Reply

Isn’t Chuck Hughes just the cutest? Mmm mmm mmm! Those were for Chuck ;-) As for the macarons, I didn’t know that they could be so easy to make. I’ve had a few macarons in my day and I’ve never tasted any that I enjoyed. Maybe it’s time to get down and dirty and make macarons with flavors I would personally enjoy :-) Now… where do I get almond flour?

65. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar August 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM - Reply

These look fantastic Kate! I really really need to get on the macaron bandwagon and try making some myself. :-)

66. I was too old those shows, unfortunately. The ones I watched included Gilligan’s Island and Hogan’s Heroes. I’ve also never had a macaron. How odd is that. In fact, the first time I saw someone post about them, I thought that they had meant to type macaroon and made a mistake. You know me and lemon. These look fantastic.

67. Junia @ Mis Pensamientos August 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM - Reply

yay for macarons! the lemon buttercream filling sounds fantastic!

68. CouponClippingCook August 15, 2011 at 11:06 AM - Reply

I love those old shows! These macarons look so good. Love your step-by-step instructions and pictures too.

69. Lori August 15, 2011 at 10:30 AM - Reply

Lovely! The macarons look gorgeous. I have only attempted macarons once and the recipe was quite different from yours but they definitely look the same. I just may have to give this method a try! Love the lemon!

70. DANIELLE @ HUGS & COOKIES XOXO August 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM - Reply

A BEAUTIFUL POST AS ALWAYS AND I WAS GOING TO MARRY KIRK CAMERON BACK IN THE DAY! LOL

71. Aimee August 15, 2011 at 10:16 AM - Reply

Oh wow! These look amazing :) I’ve never had the guts to try to make my own macarons!

72. Yosefa @nonrecipe August 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM - Reply

This looks so good, but I can’t get it to pin. So annoyed with Pinterest. I’m too young to not figure out how to use this thing! I’ll have to keep an eye out for almond flour.

73. rinku August 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM - Reply

Luscious! Beautiful writing.

74. Melissa@EyesBigger August 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM - Reply

You know, until I started foodblogging last year, I’d never ever heard of a Macaron. I’ve never seen them for sale here in any pastry shop or bakery and when I mention them to friends to see if they’ve had them, I get a blank look and then they ask me if I mean Macaroons! lol.

I don’t think I have the patience at all to make these. I have to try one before I decide if they’re worth the effort. But, yours look gorgeous! And Kate, your photos have improved so much in the past few months. I know I’ve said this before but they look fantastic!

• Kate@Diethood August 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM - Reply

You’re the best…thank you so much! I hope you know that YOUR praise of my photos means a lot! Wish I could hug you!

When I say ‘macarons’ to my friends, they think that I just can’t pronounce macaroni…wtf?! :)

• Melissa@EyesBigger August 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM - Reply

Macaroni! lol. That’s funny. At least macaroons are in the dessert family!
        I’m sending a big hug your way :)

75. Evan Thomas August 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM - Reply

These look incredible! I tried making Macarons last year but could never get the cookie base right.

76. PolaM August 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM - Reply

Hi Kate, I’d like to hear from you for the 7 link game. Please consider taking it up if you have a minute to spare.

And great macarons by the way! I will have to try at some point!

77. Sandi August 15, 2011 at 9:26 AM - Reply

Scrumptious pictures! ..and like the way you illustrate each step.
    Think I saw every All in the Family episode growing up!

78. claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine August 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM - Reply

Now this is one heck of an art to me I have yet to try. The flavor is my fav so you now have inspired me again and again and again! NICE JOB!

79. Kristy August 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM - Reply

Can you believe I still have never had a macaron?! These like wonderful! And I’m fairly certain my sister and I were sitting down and watching the same line-up of reruns. ;) LOL! Thanks for the flashback.

80. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 15, 2011 at 8:36 AM - Reply

So, so interesting how different people succeed with different recipes and completely different quantities and temperatures and techniques. I am trying to assimilate the four classes I took in Paris to find just the right method and recipe for me! Yours look lovely.

If you readers are interested in learning to make macarons, they might like to enter my giveaway for a copy of Mad about Macarons – fabulous book, so easy to follow!

• Kate@Diethood August 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM - Reply

Thanks, Mardi! I’ll make sure to include the giveaway on here.

81. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 15, 2011 at 7:51 AM - Reply

Macarons look wonderful!! Loved those shows. Growing Pains might have been my favorite, Mike was just so cute!