This recipe was originally posted on April 17, 2013. Updated with new photos and content on April 26, 2017.
Cashew Chicken Meatballs are seasoned and nutty baked chicken meatballs served with a side of homemade sweet and sour sauce. A fun twist on classic chicken meatballs, this dinner recipe is full of Asian flavor!
You can make so many fun and yummy recipe variations for meatballs like these Baked Chicken Meatballs with Garlic Dill Yogurt Sauce and these Brown Sugar-Glazed Turkey Meatballs. Serve them as appetizers or a meal!
This Is One Of My Favorite Chicken Meatball Flavors
Here, in this little corner of mine, you and I always discuss yummy things. Today, just like any other day, we’re going to discusssss… that’s right… yummy things.
Things like Cashew Chicken Meatballs.
I was typing a post – the one about my Salted Chocolate Caramel Popcorn – at the same time, I was also munching on cashews. I mean, I can’t just type and not snack on something. That has never happened.
The Best Homemade Sweet & Sour Sauce
And, as I was chomping away, I was reminded of cashew chicken.
One thing lead to another and, well, as you can see, I made us these outrageous cashew chicken meatballs with homemade Sweet & Sour Sauce. Which is also just as outrageously awesome as the meatballs. SO GOOD! Finger lickin’ good. Like, smack your lips good. You get it.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Cashew Chicken Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ cup plain panko crumbs
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 small onion , finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- Zest of one small orange
- ½ cup cream cheese , room temperature
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground chicken, panko crumbs, salt, pepper, onion, basil, parsley, cashews, orange, and cream cheese.
- Mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Heat the vegetable oil.
- Roll meat into 1 inch meatballs, place in flour, turn to lightly coat on all sides, and add into hot oil.
- Cook and turn for 2 minutes, or just until a little browned on all sides.
- Transfer meatballs and hot oil to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Prepare the sweet and sour sauce by combining all ingredients in a skillet.
- Bring to a boil; whisk frequently and continue to cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until sauce is reduced by 1/2.
- Remove meatballs from oven.
- Pour prepared sauce over meatballs.
- Serve as is for a delicious starter or appetizer, OR serve over rice for a full meal.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.