Doughnuts. Oh how I love you! Particularly if you are gourmet. Or cake doughnuts.
You know this to be true since you have seen me bake or fry a few of them here and there: Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts with Vanilla Glaze, Mojito Doughnuts, Jelly Doughnut Holes… I could talk about this doughnut biznass all day with you. Completely normal, right?
Before we get to the Carrot Cake Doughnut, and all of its yumminess, lemme tell you where it came from.
Because I am totally student council material, I need to be in every club that I can find! For that reason, I joined The Secret Recipe Club! The concept is simple; you are assigned a blog and you must choose a recipe from that blog to post on your blog. You make it or bake it, but can’t share it with that blogger, or anyone else for that matter, (it’s a *secret*) until reveal day, which happens to be today.
Life’s Simple Measures was my assigned blog. The author behind the blog is Jess. This was my first time visiting her blog so I took the time to go through just about every recipe on her site. And man does she have some delicious stuff to share! There’s Pies, 7-layer Magic Bars, Baked Carrot Cake Doughnuts with Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting!
It’s been a few months since my last doughnut creation, thus when I saw a doughnut recipe on her site, I had to have it!
I should share that I didn’t want to come near a carrot cake until maybe 5 years ago. The thought of a vegetable in a cake did not appeal to me. Until that one day… I don’t know what got over me, but I thought, fear no more, take that bite! And I did. Oh my Gah, I fell in love with carrot cake.
The texture is awesome. The taste, pretty awesome. The frosting, super freakin’ awesome!
Put all that awesomeness in a baked carrot cake doughnut and you’ve got the best darn doughnut, ever! The Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting is da bomb!
I could not stop myself. I ate 4 of the 18 doughnuts. You know, just for taste. In case I needed to adjust a thing or two.
If you don’t have a doughnut pan, yet, go and get one. You’ll love yourself for it. I know fried doughnuts rule, but baked doughnuts aren’t bad… not at all. They rock my world! They should be rocking yours, too.
Baked Carrot Cake Doughnuts with Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting #Secret Recipe Club
For the Carrot Cake Doughnuts:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 stick butter , softened
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup crushed pineapple , drained, reserve 4 tablespoons juice for the frosting
- 2/3 cup finely shredded carrots
For the Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 4- ounces cream cheese , softened
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Toasted chopped walnuts for garnish
For the Carrot Cake Doughnuts
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease the doughnut pan; set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl sift together the flour, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In your mixer's bowl cream together the butter, light brown sugar, and salt.
- Add egg, vanilla, and yogurt; beat until smooth.
- Set the mixer to low and slowly add in the flour mixture.
- Stir in pineapple and carrots.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag or a ziploc bag and pipe batter into prepared pan, filling only 1/2 way up the doughnut cavities.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool doughnuts in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack.
In the meantime prepare the Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting
- In your mixer's bowl cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Pour in the pineapple juice and powdered sugar; continue to beat until completely blended and smooth.
- Frost the doughnuts and top with chopped, toasted walnuts.
- Add the chopped walnuts to a frying pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until toasted and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes.
I’m sharing these with Tidy Mom’s I’m Lovin’ It Fridays