This Cabbage Soup recipe is a bright, flavorful veggie medley in a fire roasted tomato broth. It’s healthy, hearty and comforting, too!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 small orange bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin coins
- ¾ teaspoon salt, add more or less (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 5 cups chopped cabbage, (about 1/2 head of a cabbage)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chopped fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 to 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth, you can also use chicken broth or beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and cut into half moons
- 2 cups broccoli florets
Heat oil in a dutch oven or a large soup pot.
Add onions and cook for 1 minute over medium-high heat.
Stir in prepared bell peppers, carrots, salt, and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
Add garlic and parsley; cook for 20 seconds.
Stir in cabbage and cook for 4 minutes, or until starting to wilt.
Add tomato paste; stir until combined.
Add roasted tomatoes and Italian seasoning; mix to combine.
Stir in broth and add bay leaves; increase heat to High and bring to a boil.
Lower heat to a steady simmer; continue to cook for 7 minutes.
Stir in zucchini slices and broccoli florets; cook for 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat.
Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
Remove bay leaves and discard.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Vitamin A 1926IU39%
Vitamin C 69mg84%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Keywords: cabbage soup diet, cabbage soup weight loss, healthy soup recipe