These ice cream sandwiches are so easy and so satisfying! Nilla wafer cookies stuffed with vanilla ice cream. It doesn’t get much better!
Some of you out there might be able to recall my obsession with ice cream. Allow me to refresh your memory:
Told ‘ya I was obsessed. 🙂
Out of all the small kitchen appliances that I own, and I own many, (some I don’t even know what they are for or how to use), the importance of my ice cream maker ranks somewhere around 3rd or 4th place… can’t decide between that or my food blender. My electric mixer is in the first place, then food processor, then ice cream maker. Or, food blender?! … I do use my blender to prepare the mixture for my ice cream…
What I like about making my own ice cream is the fact that I can throw whatever I want in there; grab some milk, some sugar, sometimes an egg, a few cookies, fruit, and voila – we’ve got custom made ice cream and everyone is happy! Hubby likes the classic Neapolitan. Boring. Ana likes plain chocolate. Boring. I like ice cream with chunks in it; chocolate chunks, fruit chunks, bacon chunks, cookie chunks… That’s a fun ice cream! And that is why this Vanilla-Nilla ice cream was born.
I can eat a box of Nilla Wafers in one sitting. Truth be told, I have eaten a box of Nilla Wafers in one sitting. No, I wasn’t pregnant. Just a fat kid watching Saturday morning cartoons. Man, that was a good day! 🙂
But, in my humble opinion, it’s always a better day when a cookie is paired with ice cream. I was popping these ice cream sandwiches like a box of bonbons…they were SO! good! And bite-size! To make these ice cream sandwiches all you will need is a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and a box of Nilla Wafers. And an ice cream maker. Well, no not really. You can make ice cream without an ice cream maker, but that just takes too long and the end result isn’t as creamy. But, If you don’t have an ice cream maker, David Lebovitz has a great freezing method on his site; please follow these steps.
These ice cream sandwiches are so easy and so satisfying! Nilla wafer cookies stuffed with vanilla ice cream. It doesn't get much better!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Nilla Wafers
- Nilla Wafers
- Place the milk and sugar in a food blender and blend for about 2 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved. You can also use an electric mixer or a whisk.
- In a separate bowl stir together the heavy cream and the pure vanilla extract.
- Pour the heavy cream mixture into the milk/sugar mixture and blend for another minute.
- Turn on the ice cream maker, pour in the milk mixture, and freeze it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In the meantime crush 2 cups Nilla Wafers. You can put them in a zip lock bag and just roll over them a few times with a rolling pin.
- minutes before the ice cream is done, pour the crushed wafers into the mixture through the ingredient spout on the ice cream maker.
- Once the ice cream is done, grab an ice cream scoop or a spoon, spread the ice cream on a Nilla wafer, then sandwich it together with another wafer.
- Place in the freezer for an hour, or until firm.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 11