This amazing, sweet, yet healthy Strawberry Coconut Oatmeal Crunch Pie combines a crust made of shredded coconut, quick oats and cereal flakes, topped with a silky strawberry sauce and sliced, fresh strawberries.
Daaaang, that’s a long title.
In my head, though, it sounded much better than calling it, let’s say, Strawberry Oatmeal Pie. That sounds like something you could order off a menu at your nearest Family Diner. And it would be something soggy. So, no. I decided to go with the long title, instead.
Besides, there’s one more word that I didn’t fit in there – honey. Cereal, too. Wasn’t sure where to put it.
Soooo? What’s going on? Happy Monday! I’m on a vacay from the husband. He’s on the other side of the pond for a few days and I’m all like, YAAAAY! BravoTV all week long! …with a serving-or-two of this Strawberry Coconut Oatmeal Crunch Pie! SCORE!
Actually, this pie was intended for my picky 4-year old. I asked her to tell me what she wanted for me to bake, and her answer was, strawberries. I threw my hands up in the air and just started going off about how she doesn’t eat anything, but strawberries and waffles, and as I was waving my finger at her, she goes, “Um…stop that. You look like Grandma.”
Um…did she just tell me that I’ve turned into my Mom?!? Dagger.
Next thing she tells me is that she would like for me to make her something with strawberries, strawberry cereal, and strawberry frosting. My girl likes her strawberries even in the dead of winter. And what’s a Mama to do, but go get some berries and start working on a pie she hopes will look and taste just as delicious as she sees it in her head.
I came home, threw some things together in a bowl, drizzled it with honey, popped it in the oven and voila! We have pie. Crunch Pie, at that.
For you, I ended up making it a bit prettier by adding the berries on top instead of inside the crust. Aside from the fact that it looks a lot better this way, it tastes better, too.
What’s more important is that Ana inhaled two slices. Double SCORE! One of these days she might move up a little bit faster on that growth chart. Until then, I’ll just keep on making this pie, and you should, too! 😉
Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Pie
- 1 cup cereal flakes with strawberries (e.g. Kellogg's Special K Red Berries)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup honey (maple syrup can also be used)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup strawberries , mashed or pureed
- 3 cups sliced strawberries , divided
- 1 cup cereal flakes with strawberries , crushed
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate with baking spray and set aside.
- Place cereal in a ziploc bag, close the bag and crush the cereal with a rolling pin.
- In a mixing bowl, combine crushed cereal, oats, flour, coconut and honey; stir until completely blended.
- Press mixture into previously prepared pie plate. You can use a buttered spatula to do this, or you can also spray some cooking spray on your hands so that the mixture doesn't stick.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let completely cool.
- Prepare the strawberry sauce by combining water and corn starch in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir until well blended.
- Mix in mashed strawberries and microwave for 30 to 40 seconds, or until sauce is thickened.
- Spread sauce on top of cooled pie.
- Arrange sliced strawberries and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chilled.
- Garnish with crushed strawberry cereal flakes.
Need more Pie Recipes? Look no further! Check out all the delicious pies below:
For more pie ideas, you can always click over to my Pies & Tarts Pinterest Board.