Looks like I’m really going for that Best Mom Award; grilled cheese, ice cream, cupcakes, oreos… all in one week! And I’m not even done, yet. But, I think that these Spider Oreo Cupcakes were the highlight for my little one. She is crazy about Oreos, crazy about cupcakes, frosting, sprinkles… These babies had it all, and she was in sugar-heaven.
But, I must admit something – last week, during this “little” project, I found out that I do have patience. After working on all of this Halloween deliciousness with my hyper, but really cute daughter, I am happy to report that my hair is still in place (I didn’t pull out one strand), my child is still intact, and the treats are edible.
***Question; does this look like “Shaun the Sheep” to you? My husband thinks so. I sat there making spiders for an hour and he tells me it looks like a sheep. Pffft!
Because I wanted to involve my daughter in making these cupcakes, I opted for a box cake mix because I figured the less work there is, the better it will be for the both of us. Call it a hunch, if you will, but things went smoothly up until the Oreos took over the scene. I won’t bore you with all that happened, but lets just say that it took more than 2 boxes of Oreo Cookies to finish up this project.
***Don’t forget to link up your Halloween Treats to my Halloween Link Party!***
Spider Oreo Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 boxes of Halloween Oreo Cookies , you will need Cookies for inside the cupcake and Cookies for the "Spiders"
- Frosting - recipe below
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Black Licorice
- Small Round Chocolate Candies
- Cupcake Liners
For the Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
- 1 stick butter , softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Pour a small amount of batter (enough to cover the bottom) in each cupcake liner.
- Add an Oreo Cookie to each liner, then fill the cupcake tins.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Prepare the Frosting
- Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar; mix until well blended, about 4 minutes.
- Take out the cupcakes and let completely cool before frosting.
- Once frosted, add sprinkles, then top with an Oreo.
- Once the Oreos are on the cupcakes, you can decorate them with chocolate candies as eyes and black licorice strings as legs. You can also do this before placing the Oreos on the cupcakes.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.