This recipe was originally published on July 20, 2014, and updated with new photos and content on January 14, 2018.
Skinny Chicken Fettuccine with Alfredo Sauce: Creamy and delicious lightened up Chicken Fettuccine prepared with a lighter and flavorful Alfredo Sauce.
Hi YA! Happy Sunday, my lovelies! Wanna talk chicken??
Weeeeell okay. I mean, if we muuuust talk about chicken today then so be it. It IS Sunday, after all. BUT, HELLLOOOOO we’re talking about CHICKEN FETTUCCINE ALFREDO! SKINNIFIED! (making-up words is a thing nowadays…) And sorry about the screams – I just want you to hear me.
Back in the day, when my bod didn’t recognize calories, I would go into Olive Garden and inhale a large plate of their Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. Then I’d sop up the remaining of the sauce with my breadsticks – I made sure to lick that plate clean. Now, I can’t even smell that beautiful alfredo sauce without gaining a few elbees. Totally unfair.
Thus, what started out as an innocent effort to make a lighter sauce, turned into a full grown, must-have, can’t live without Alfredo Sauce.
No, really. I use it in a LOT of recipes:
- Spinach and Artichoke Pasta Alfredo Casserole
- Lightened Up Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
- Creamy Spinach Fettuccine
Also? Isn’t it funny how all these adjectives, such as, “skinny”, “healthy”, “good for you”, are totally subjective? I mean, we make one little swap in a recipe and it’s completely cool to just dub it as healthy. However, and here comes the big BUT … buuuuuut, this really, truly, 100-percently is skinnier.
The alfredo sauce is prepared with olive oil and plain yogurt instead of butter and cream, and the real kicker is that, it is still very creamy! By the way, you can also use 1% milk in place of the yogurt.
Did you know that there’s about 500+ calories per serving in a good, old fashioned alfredo sauce? That’s JUST the sauce! Eeek! Can’t buhlieve I was able to eat that and not gain an ounce.
Lucky for me and you, this alfredo sauce recipe is less than half of that! In fact, this entire meal is a little over 480 calories per serving. We ain’t callin’ it skinnier for nothing.
All this is going to start with a pot filled with boiling water and 8 ounces of fettuccine pasta inside of it.
In the meantime, you’ll prepare the sauce:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add some garlic to it.
- A whisk of flour will follow; please whisk it all into the liquid.
- Continue to whisk in the chicken broth; the whisk is your bestie when it comes to this sauce!
- Once sauce starts to thicken, remove the skillet from heat and stir in the cheese and yogurt.
- To help you with the rest of dinner, please hit print!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Skinny Chicken Fettuccine with Alfredo Sauce - Creamy and delicious lightened up Chicken Fettuccine prepared with a lighter and flavorful Alfredo Sauce.
- 3 to 4 prepared chicken breasts
- 8- ounces whole wheat fettuccine pasta , cooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt (you can also use 1% milk in place of the yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- basil ribbons , for garnish
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in flour; stir until combined.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth.
- Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens; remove from heat.
- Stir in parmesan cheese; stir until melted.
Whisk in the yogurt; whisk until combined.
Season with dried parsley, salt and pepper.
Sauce will continue to thicken as it stands. If sauce is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Pour sauce over cooked fettuccine; mix until combined.
Transfer to plates and top with previously prepared chicken.
- Garnish with basil ribbons and serve.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
WW SmartPoints: 12
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy