Soaked in a custard blend with crumbled feta cheese and fresh thyme, this Savory Feta Cheese French Toast will quickly become your family’s favorite!
Hi, Friend! Happy Sunday! How’s your weekend been? I spent most of the weekend inside the house, wearing my most favorite purple robe, and watching the snowfall from my window. Don’t worry, I combed my hair and took a shower, too.
You know what the deal is around here, right? I am Macedonian and very proud of it. But you knew that. Once in a while I come around here, make a mention of it, even share a recipe or two that I grew up on, such as the Oven Baked Macaroni and Feta Cheese or this amazing Meat and Potato Gratin.
If there was a food-word that could best describe me and my taste buds, it would be this – this soft, fragrant, delicious Savory Feta Cheese French Toast. It.is.BEYOND!
Growing up, this was our morning breakfast every Sunday. We (Macedonians) call this, “Przeni Lepcinja”, a.k.a. Fried Bread Slices, and not French Toast. In fact, the first time I heard it called that was when we came to the States. The French don’t call it French Toast, either! They call it Pain Perdu, a.k.a. Lost Bread. So there!
I remember my Mom would purposely leave the loaf of bread on the counter the night before so that it would be as stale as possible the next day. We’d come home from Church, gather around the kitchen table and wait for Mom to deliver the goods.
Eggs, milk, fresh thyme and feta cheese all soaked up by this sliced beauty. What could be better!? A side of plain yogurt is all you need to complete the meal. If you find yourselves fighting for the last slice, don’t worry, it’s quite normal. We do that every single time they make their appearance.
Also?! This makes a great Brinner, too!
Savory Feta Cheese French Toast
- 1 loaf (16-oz.) stale french bread, sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese , divided
- Line a plate with paper towel and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, thyme, pepper and 1 cup crumbled feta cheese until completely blended.
- Dip each slice of bread in egg mixture, covering all sides, and scooping up bits of feta cheese from the bottom.
- Transfer each bread slice to pan and cook on both sides until golden; about 1-1/2 minutes per side. Add more oil as needed. (I cook 2 to 3 slices of bread at a time)
- Remove each slice and place on paper towel to soak up excess fat.
- Sprinkle toast with remaining crumbled feta cheese and serve hot.
Recipe NotesRECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
MORE FRENCH TOAST RECIPES: