Today, for many of you, it is Good Friday, and I would like to wish those celebrating a Happy Good Friday, a day to remember Our Savior who died on the cross for us.
As some of you may remember, since I have discussed it many times before, I am Macedonian Orthodox, and we celebrate Easter just a few weeks after most of the world. This year Easter, for us, falls on May 5th. Thus, Lenten season has just begun for us and I’m already starving! Just kidding… A diet of raw veggies and rice cakes is awesome!! 😉
Thinking about Easter and what I could share with you, I thought about this Rustic Egg Salad that my Grandma used to make for us on Easter Day to use up some of the colored, hard boiled eggs.
This is a very simple salad, a villager’s salad, as she called it, because it requires only a few very simple ingredients; crunchy, toasted bread, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, green onions, some soft cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. Simple, yet incredibly delicious and comforting.
I should mention that in place of the tomatoes, she would use dried red peppers because fresh, homegrown tomatoes weren’t available until much, much later. However, I really, really like it with big, juicy cherry tomatoes.
Also, because I am a sucker for infused olive oil, I dressed it with Basil Parmesan Dipping Oil. MMMM! The wonderful people from Pastamore sent me a bottle, and I could not have been happier. It is so, so good! If interested, you can find them on Twitter, say hello, and tell them I sent you. 🙂
Happy Easter to you all! I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend!
Other Easter inspired recipes:
- 4 long slices Italian Bread , each slice cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter , room temperature
- 4 hard boiled eggs , cut lengthwise into fourths
- 6 cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 green onions , sliced into rounds, light green and white parts only
- 1/2 cup soft cheese , you can use fresh mozzarella, feta cheese, or goat cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Coat one side of each bread slice with butter.
- Place the bread slices on a foil-lined baking sheet, butter side down.
- Toast for 5-6 minutes, or until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
- Place sliced bread on a serving plate.
- Arrange sliced eggs, tomatoes, and cheese on top of each slice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
WW SmartPoints: 13