Today, for many of you, it is Good Friday, and I would like to wish those celebrating a Happy Good Friday, a day to remember Our Savior who died on the cross for us.
As some of you may remember, since I have discussed it many times before, I am Macedonian Orthodox, and we celebrate Easter just a few weeks after most of the world. This year Easter, for us, falls on May 5th. Thus, Lenten season has just begun for us and I’m already starving! Just kidding… A diet of raw veggies and rice cakes is awesome!! 😉
Thinking about Easter and what I could share with you, I thought about this Rustic Egg Salad that my Grandma used to make for us on Easter Day to use up some of the colored, hard boiled eggs.
This is a very simple salad, a villager’s salad, as she called it, because it requires only a few very simple ingredients; crunchy, toasted bread, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, green onions, some soft cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. Simple, yet incredibly delicious and comforting.
I should mention that in place of the tomatoes, she would use dried red peppers because fresh, homegrown tomatoes weren’t available until much, much later. However, I really, really like it with big, juicy cherry tomatoes.
Also, because I am a sucker for infused olive oil, I dressed it with Basil Parmesan Dipping Oil. MMMM! The wonderful people from Pastamore sent me a bottle, and I could not have been happier. It is so, so good! If interested, you can find them on Twitter, say hello, and tell them I sent you. 🙂
Happy Easter to you all! I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend!
Other Easter inspired recipes:
Dying Easter Eggs
Rustic Egg Salad
- 4 long slices Italian Bread , each slice cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter , room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 4 hard boiled eggs , cut lengthwise into fourths
- 6 cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 cup soft cheese, cut up into pieces, or crumbled (you can use fresh mozzarella, feta cheese, or goat cheese)
- salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 green onions , sliced into rounds, light green and white parts only
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Coat one side of each bread slice with butter and rub with the garlic.
- Place the bread slices on a foil-lined baking sheet, butter side down.
- Toast for 4 minutes, or until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
- Place sliced bread, buttered side up, on a serving plate.
- Over each slice of bread, spread a tablespoon of basil pesto, if using.
- Arrange sliced eggs, tomatoes, and cheese on top of each slice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.