Quinoa and Berries Barbecue “Chicken” Salad – Crisp, fresh and flavorful Barbecue “Chicken” Salad tossed with berries, nuts and delicious quinoa.
That one time I used BBQ sauce as salad dressing. Yeah… Ah.May.Zing! Napkin, puhlease!
First thing’s first, Happy St. Patrick’s Day! My green for the day is this adorable salad!
Second of all, HI, there! How are you?! Are you wondering why there’s parentheses around the word “Chicken”?
Beeee-cuz silly, that’s not chicken-chicken. I mean, it tastes like chicken and it looks like chicken, but it doesn’t cluck like chicken. Make sense?
I am developing a hobby called ‘trying to eat healthier than my already healthy-ish-eating-diet’ (Shhhhhhh! Don’t mention the pepperoni and cheese chicken! Girl’s got cravings.) and sometimes my healthier eating involves vegan “meat” and ancient grains. Totally normal.
Therefore, this salad, my dear lovelies, features the ever so delicious Chicken-Free “Chicken” Strips from Beyond Meat.
Beyond Meat is a company that creates mass-market solutions to replace animal protein with plant protein. Meaning, these beautiful chicken-free “chicken” strips are made with plant protein made from NON-GMO soybeans, peas and carrots! They contain just as much protein as chicken, are cholesterol free, vegan, and gluten free. Isn’t that fantastic?
What’s even more attractive is that Beyond Meat are dedicated to improving human health, positively impacting climate change, conserving natural resources AND respecting animal welfare. That is quite impressive.
I should also mention that, had no one told me that these chicken strips were vegan, I would have never known. Scouts honor. The texture and taste are completely spot-on. Good grief, I was seriously smitten by this stuff!
Judging by what I just said, I started out already loving this Barbecue “Chicken” Salad because it’s, well, really good. Like, fight-over-the-last-piece good. It’s so flavorful, the texture is pretty amazing, and it’s super filling.
As if that’s not enough, I have a little extra-loving going on for the salad because vegan BBQ sauce exists, and when you mix that with a splash of lime juice, it becomes a darn good salad dressing.
That said, let’s recap. This is extremely easy. This is SUPER healthy. This is totally delicious. I think this is about to become my new go-to. Thank you, Beyond Meat!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
Quinoa and Berries Barbecue "Chicken" Salad
FOR THE "CHICKEN" SALAD
- 1- cup quinoa
- 1 bag (9-ounces) Beyond Meat Chicken-Free Strips
- 1/2- cup vegan bbq sauce
- 8 cups mixed salad greens and baby spinach leaves
- 2- cups halved strawberries
- 1/2- cup chopped pecans
- 2 small red onions , sliced
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/4- cup to 1/2-cup vegan bbq sauce (adjust to taste)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice , or to taste
- chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare quinoa per directions on the package; set aside and cool completely.
- Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray.
- Add chicken and heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in bbq sauce and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- In the meantime, place salad greens in a salad bowl.
- Add quinoa, chicken, strawberries, nuts, and onions over salad greens. Set aside.
Prepare the salad dressing.
- Pour bbq sauce into a skillet over medium heat; cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in lime juice and remove from heat.
- Add to salad.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Beyond Meat. The opinions and text are all mine.