In one of my replies to a reader I had mentioned that for dinner we had a side of pickled beet salad. That comment prompted a few emails – most of them asking me how to make this salad. Because I had received the question from a good amount of people, I decided to put up the recipe so that others can see what I am talking about.
I bought this jar of pickled red beets at a European Import grocery store:
Took it home and we ate up half of it in one sitting :/.
This is a very simple way of making a salad with red beets. But, you can get creative with it once you try it. People add onions to this salad, some add fruits, or greens; you can make it your own, but it’s important to know its basic taste before you try playing with it. I don’t do too much with it because I can eat the red beets right out of the jar – I don’t need all the fixins. 🙂
Pickled Red Beet Salad
You will need:
- 1 cup of pickled red beets
For the Dressing:
- salt to taste
- pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon EVOO
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- Put the red beets in the plate in which they will be served.
- In a separate bowl mix in all the ingredients for the dressing – mix well.
- Pour it over the beets and serve it with a side of bread – the bread is used to sop up the red liquid mixed in with the dressing…yum!
And that’s how it’s done! 🙂