Phyllo-Wrapped Chocolate Pear Dumplings: These beautiful pears are stuffed with a chocolate-walnut mixture, and wrapped in crispy, flaky phyllo dough sheets.
Last week I was all whining about people searching my site for Fall food, and only hours later I went to the kitchen and made something totally Fall-ish; Phyllo-Wrapped Chocolate Pear Dumplings.
I couldn’t help myself. Looking at all the search terms, I started to get the itch for all things pumpkin, apples, pears…
I also made cookies and a pie.
After 4 hours of having the oven ON, it was SO hot in the kitchen, my house was practically sweating.
But, who cares! I got to eat pears STUFFED with CHOCOLATE aaaaaand wrapped in flaky, buttery phyllo sheets!! This is DA LIFE!
Seriously. How good do these look? Right??? They taste even better!
These awesome treats came about due to my desire for Baklava. I thought, hey, why don’t I stuff some pears with baklava-fixins and wrap said pear in phyllo?! Super awesome idea!
THEN, my mom said, hey, can you come up with something that involves chocolate and pears?? I was like, yeah, sure!
Few moments later, and slight change in plans; I took the baklava idea, but left out the honey and swapped it with chocolate. TaDA!
These Pear Dumplings are the reason for my more-than-usual hookup with my treadmill. If this recipes was in a challenge, I would win!!
How obnoxious of me to say that, right? I know. BUT, you haven’t tried my pears, yet. Once you try them, you’ll know I was right to think that I would win. 😉
The best thing about these pears is the chocolate! Aaaaand the flaky sheets. In fact, the chocolate paired with the phyllo sheets + the pears?? That’s a heavenly combination.
Now, go have fun making these pears!
Phyllo-Wrapped Chocolate Pear Dumplings
- 4 Pears (I used D'Anjou)
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 1/4- cup chocolate chips , coarsely chopped
- 1/4- cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 8 phyllo sheets , divided
- turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Peel the pears.
- Cut about 1/2 inch from bottoms of pears, and discard.
- Using a melon baller, core pears three-fourths of the way up. Do not cut through to the top.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine butter, chocolate and walnuts; using a fork, stir the mixture until fully incorporated.
- Fill each pear with about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate mixture; set aside.
- Layer 4 pieces of Phyllo sheets on prepared baking sheet, brushing each sheet with the melted butter before adding the next.
- Cut the sheets right down the middle, crosswise. You should have 2 phyllo stacks.
- Place 1 pear in the center of one of the phyllo stacks; wrap the phyllo sheets around the pear, overlapping diagonal corners on top of the pear.
- Place on prepared baking pan and brush with butter.
- Repeat with remaining pears and phyllo sheets.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.