Coconut Chicken Curry is one of those classic, savory meals everyone loves, and this Instant Pot version will have your dinner on the table in no time! It’s an easy coconut curry chicken recipe that is so flavorful and comes together in just 30 minutes!
AN EASY INSTANT POT CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE
Chicken thighs in the Instant Pot are one of my favorites! They always turn out really tender and extra juicy. And, when you combine that with the flavors of this easy curry, you get the perfect, warm, and filling meal.
After my delicious attempt at Instant Pot Butter Chicken, I had to jump on trying my favorite Curry Chicken recipe. 🍽 Not only is this meal super easy to make, it’s a one-pot dinner that makes cleaning up a breeze!
WHAT IS COCONUT CURRY?
Coconut curry is simply a blend of curry spices combined with unsweetened coconut milk. It is known for its rich, creamy texture and bold flavors. Traditional curry can take hours to make, however this version is made in the Instant Pot and takes minutes to prepare.
It may take less time, but there won’t be any less flavor, so skip your takeout, because you’re about to have this curry in an instant! 😊
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE
The secret to a good curry is in the spices! This is the magic blend of seasonings that will give your curry some extra spice, and the coconut milk will add sweetness to balance everything out perfectly.
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
- Chicken thighs
- Garlic cloves
- Curry powder
- Dried basil
- Chili powder
- White pepper
- Ground ginger
- Unsweetened coconut milk
- Cooked rice
- Fresh cilantro
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN CURRY
Making this recipe in the Instant Pot is what makes it so, so simple. There really isn’t anything else out there like the bold spices of a good curry! Here is how to make the best instant pot chicken thighs:
- Add the olive oil to your instant pot and select the “SAUTÉ” setting to heat the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the diced onions and prepared peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken pieces with the garlic. Season with curry, basil, salt, chili powder, white pepper and ground ginger.
- Cook and stir until the chicken is just starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Coconut Milk (use canned coconut milk).
- Turn OFF the IP. Secure the lid and make sure the vent is closed. Select MANUAL (or PRESSURE COOK) and set to cook for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, do a quick release of the pressure. When the pin drops, remove the lid.
- Carefully remove ¼ cup of the liquid from the pot and pour into a small bowl.
- Whisk in corn starch and stir until it is well combined.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture (slurry) into the IP and stir around until thoroughly combined and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve Coconut Curry Chicken over rice and garnish with cilantro.
HOW TO SERVE COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY
- Coconut Curry Chicken is served warm over rice. I prefer Lemon Rice, basmati rice, jasmine rice, or quinoa.
- If you are watching your carb intake, feel free to use this Cauliflower Rice.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Once your Coconut Chicken Curry has completely cooled, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
HOW TO REHEAT COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY
- Reheating Coconut Chicken Curry is easy-peasy! I prefer to reheat it covered, in the microwave for convenience, but you can also reheat it on the stove over medium heat. Serve once it’s warmed throughout.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPES
- Instant Pot Lemon Butter Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Sticky Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Coconut Chicken Curry is one of those classic, savory meals everyone loves. This Instant Pot version will have your dinner on the table in no time!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small Red bell pepper, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 Pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon White pepper, optional
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground ginger, or to taste
- 1 Can (13.6 ounces) unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Select the “SAUTÉ” function on the Instant Pot and heat up the olive oil.
Add diced onion and prepared peppers to the hot oil; cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in chicken pieces and garlic.
Season with curry, basil, salt, chili powder, white pepper, and ground ginger.
Cook and stir until chicken is just browned, about 2 minutes.
Add coconut milk to the pot and using a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
Turn OFF the Instant Pot by selecting CANCEL. Secure the lid and make sure the vent is closed.
Select MANUAL (or PRESSURE COOK) and set to cook for 5 minutes.
When time is up, do a quick release.
When the pin drops, remove the lid.
Carefully remove 1/4 cup of the liquid from the pot int a small bowl.
Whisk in cornstarch mixture (slurry) into the Instant Pot and stir around until combined and sauce is thickened.
Serve Coconut Curry Chicken over the rice and garnish with cilantro.