You know how I was born on the other side of the pond and was completely clueless about apple pies? Yeah. Didn’t have a clue. Then I saw one and thought, oh, it’s a round apple strudel! And then I bit into one and realized that it wasn’t… Close, but not quite.
So. It’s been a long while since we discussed pie around here, ha? I think of pie making as a winter-business thingamajig and that is why I haven’t had one since those Boozy Fruit Tartlets.
Damn, it really has been a while…
Good thing we’re changing that today!
World, universe, please meet the easiest apple pie, ever – this is Inside-Out Apple Pie A La Mode. A huge scoop of vanilla ice cream nestled comfortably in a cinnamon-sugar tortilla, and topped with a homemade apple pie filling.
…And I just drooled… Please, excuse me.
I have gone on and on about how ice cream is my favorite dessert of all time, thus this little, individual treat should come as no surprise.
When thinking about 4th of July, and looking for food inspiration, apple pie is my go-to. Always. What’s more American than Apple Pie? Nothing, right?!
Considering this holiday is in the middle of summer, I can’t even be bothered to think about rolling out pie doughs and baking for days on end. The only baking we’re going to do around here is for these delicious cinnamon-sugar shells. Don’t worry, they are ready in 15 minutes, from start to finish.
While those bake, you’re going to chop up some apples, toss them around with a bit more cinnamon and sugar, and fry ’em! YUM!
Seriously, these are wildly delicious. I don’t know how you are going to stop yourself from having two, or three, or four, but good luck to ya. I wasn’t so lucky. I could’ve had all of them. Good thing I only made six.
Inside-Out Apple Pie A La Mode
- 6 Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas (6-inch)
- 4 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 small Granny Smith Apples , peeled, cored, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Caramel Topping , optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a round, 4-inch cookie cutter, make the tortilla cut outs.
- Brush each tortilla with butter and generously sprinkle with cinnamon sugar; reserve butter and cinnamon-sugar
- Carefully fit tortilla cut outs in prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the apples.
- Pour the remaining of the butter in a frying pan and place over medium-high heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the diced apples with the remaining cinnamon-sugar (use less if you don't like too much spice), and mix in the nutmeg.
- Add the apple mixture to the frying pan and cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Remove tortilla shells from the oven and cool completely.
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to each tortilla shell.
- Top with warm apple pie mixture.
- Drizzle with caramel topping.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
39 comments on “Inside-Out Apple Pie A La Mode”
How far in advance can you make the tortilla cups?
As long as they are not filled, they should be good if made even 2 days ahead. Fill the cups right before serving.