When life gives you peaches, you grill ‘em. With some brown sugar on top.
When life gives you unannounced guests, you grill the peaches and stuff ‘em inside a biscuit. With some whipped cream on top.
And as you’re making those peaches, you have to sing, “Last minute guests, what ‘cha gonna do, what ‘cha gonna do when they come for you…”.
I swear on my spatulas, I sang that song the entire time that I was making these.
Why peaches, you ask? ‘Cause I didn’t have any strawberries.
Well, I had some, but that’s baby girl’s snack – can’t go there.
And the grill was already fired up.
I am just glad that I made a couple extras because without them I wouldn’t have a post today.
Or, I would have a post, but without these shortcakes. Not good. These shortcakes really deserve their own post.
Grilled Peach Shortcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 ounces (1/2 of a 8 oz. package) cream cheese, cut in cubes
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon milk for brushing the tops
- 4 peaches , washed, sliced (about 8 slices per peach)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar , or to taste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and orange zest in a large bowl.
- Add in the cream cheese and mash it with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in ? cup of milk and form a dough.
- Flour hands and divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Place the dough balls 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet or silpat.
- With a glass flatten the dough balls to 1/2 inch thickness and brush the tops with milk and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out the biscuits and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
- Drizzle peaches with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with brown sugar; let sit for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the grill.
- Brush grill with a bit of oil.
- Place peach-slices on the grill. Grill for 5 minutes then turn over and grill for another minute or two, or until soft.
- Remove and let them cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile prepare the whipped cream by combining together the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Place 3 to 4 slices of grilled peaches on the bottom half of the biscuit, top with a spoonful of whipped cream, and cover with the top half of the biscuit.
- Serve immediately or put the cakes in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.