Thank you, Argo® Corn Starch, for sponsoring this post! All opinions are always 100% my own.
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Pizza with Streusel Topping – A delicious dessert pizza featuring a gluten free pizza crust, apples, a drizzle of caramel, and a sweet and crumbly streusel topping.
Hey, friends! Are you wondering about that pizza up there? Completely delicious and totally satisfying! I have been eating it all weekend and I invite you to jump in on the fun!
But, in all seriousness, apples covered in caramel and a streusel topping, and sitting atop this glorious (and gluten-free) pizza crust is basically the best thing to come out of my kitchen this Fall.
The whole pizza with apples and caramel is so on point and all made from scratch, but the kicker is that this pizza crust AND its toppings are completely gluten free!
I am not strictly a gluten-free baker by any means, but I love baking recipes that everyone can enjoy and this recipe uses Argo’s Gluten Free Pizza Crust, so I knew I could trust the crust recipe would deliver on taste and results.
Did you know that Argo® Corn Starch is gluten-free? Their baking powder is too! And corn starch doesn’t only thicken sauces and gravies, but it is also used in gluten-free baking because it adds structure and tenderness to baked goods. In fact, one of my favorite gluten-free blends is just rice flour + Argo® Corn Starch. Works like a charm because Argo® Corn Starch is flavorless, thus it allows the natural taste of food to shine through.
There were lots of topping-ideas to choose from – and more can be found at argostarch.com/Recipes/ – but I decided on this because I love simple Fall-themed goodies. Even if you’re more of a pepperoni-pizza fan, there’s no denying that this pizza-dessert is going to make you want to thank me.
This is how it all goes together. We will first make the pizza crust by combining Gluten Free Argo® Baking Powder with your favorite gluten-free flour mix, some Fleischmann’s® Pizza Crust Yeast, water, and oil.
While all that comes together, we are going to slice up a couple of beautiful Granny Smiths + make the most glorious caramel topping with Argo® Corn Starch, butter, and Karo® Syrup. A mixture of oats, brown sugar, and butter will also come together to create a perfect gluten free streusel topping that will take this pizza to whole new levels.
If you’re feeling extra daring, add some nuts to it. Maybe even chocolate chips! Heck, chop up your favorite chocolate candy bar and toss it on there, then watch it all disappear in minutes.
For the best news of all: if you have self-control and eat one slice, your skinny jeans will still love you. However, if you sneak in two slices while cleaning up the kitchen?!? HA! This is why you and I are friends!!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Pizza with Streusel Topping
Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 3 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Argo® Baking Powder
- 1 cup very warm water (120º to 130ºF)
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Pizza Crust Yeast
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Caramel Apple Topping
- 2 Granny Smith Apples , cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Argo® Corn Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Karo® Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour mix
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup gluten free oats
Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flours, sugar and salt; set aside.
- In your mixer's bowl, combine water, yeast and 1 tablespoon oil ; stir to dissolve then add ½ cup of the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes or until mixture becomes foamy.
- Add remaining flour mixture to yeast mixture.
- Set your mixer on medium speed and mix for 3 minutes.
- Scrape sides of bowl and gather dough into a ball.
- Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Line a 12-inch pizza pan with parchment paper and pour remaining olive oil onto parchment paper.
- With oiled hands, scrape dough out of mixing bowl and onto oiled parchment paper.
- Spread dough to desired thickness.
- Bake crust on lower oven rack for 11 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
Caramel Apple Topping
- Arrange apples on previously prepared gluten free pizza crust.
- In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, butter, corn syrup and vanilla.; mix until completely incorporated.
- Spoon dollops of prepared caramel over apples and set aside.
- Mix together the flour and brown sugar. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter; cut until it makes pea-sized crumbs.
- Stir in the oats.
- Sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake pizza for 10 to 12 minutes more, or until apples are tender and streusel begins to brown.
- Remove from oven; cut and serve.