Garlic Butter and Soy Sauce Smashed Potatoes are crazy delicious! These easy smashed potatoes are one of the best side dish recipes and goes with any meal.
If you like these smashed potatoes you should also try my Crispy Parmesan Smashed Potatoes recipe!
Garlic Butter and Soy Sauce Smashed Potatoes
Hello, friends! How you doin’? What’cha doin? Care to know what I’m doing? I’ll tell you, anyways! I’m currently helping my husband pack his suitcase, and he *just* now thought about looking for his passport… 6 hours before his flight. WHAT?! ✈
Maybe it’s a girl thing, but I look for that passport before I even think to buy a ticket. I mean, what if it’s expired?! OR! or or, what if it’s actually gone. Missing! Then what? Well, then you can’t get on your flight that leaves in 6 hours. And there goes your $1400 AND your vacay, wise guy!
Good luck, husband. I have more important things to do at this moment… such as discuss Garlic Butter and Soy Sauce Smashed Potatoes with my favorite internet friends.
I Love Garlic Butter On Everything
You all know my undying love for garlic butter:
to name a few…
I’ve been sittin’ on these taters (FIGURATIVELY) for a while now, thinking that I should wait until at least FALL before I bring out some of my subjects hidden on this year’s Holiday Menu. I KNOW… we have 2 months until the first big day of food, but who minds planning? NOT ME! Remember, there’s a man in the next room looking for his passport at this very moment, just a few hours before his flight, BECAUSE, he forgot to plan!
Now… THESE smashed potatoes. Let’s talk.
I’m kind of in love with eating these as a snack, a side, a main… whatever, just let me have them. Butter, garlic and soy sauce are kind of a big deal. Together, they make the most amazing flavor, and it’s something you’ll want to pour over everything, especially veggies and potatoes. You’ll see.
What Type Of Potatoes Are Best For This Recipe?
Normally, I try to reach for the small red potatoes when planning to smash ’em, but these thin skinned yellow guys were certainly much better for this particular recipe.
How To Make Garlic Butter And Soy Sauce Smashed Potatoes
Boil 2 pounds of potatoes.
Melt a stick of butter. YES, a whole stick…
Throw in 5 minced garlic cloves…
Place ’em in the sizzling garlic butter.
Cook on both sides until lightly browned and crispy.
Season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle soy sauce over each potato.
Transfer to plates.
Pour the rest of the amazing garlic butter over potatoes.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
AND TAH-DAHM! SERVE!
Hope you’ll love them as much as we do. Fingers crossed!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Garlic Butter and Soy Sauce Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds small yellow potatoes
- 1 stick butter
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4- cup low sodium soy sauce
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4- cup chopped fresh parsley
- Scrub the potatoes with a clean produce brush to remove any dirt, then rinse.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot.
- Add enough cold water to cover the tops of the potatoes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt to the water.
- Set pot over high heat and bring water to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook the potatoes until tender, or about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to a colander; drain and wash with cold water.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Using the smooth side of a meat tenderizer, smash each potato to about 2/3 of their original size.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a heavy bottomed skillet, such as a cast iron skillet.
- Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes over medium-heat, or until lightly browned, stirring very frequently. DO NOT burn the garlic.
- Add the smashed potatoes to the garlic butter. (you'll have to do this part in batches)
- Cook on one side until golden brown and then flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Flip again and drizzle about a teaspoon of soy sauce over each potato.
- Remove from heat and transfer potatoes to a serving dish.
- Pour the remaining garlic butter over the potatoes. ( This is optional, but very good 😉 )*
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.