Beautiful pumpkin stuffed with a mixture of bread, bacon and cheese. Out-of-this-world amazing!!
The stuffing for this pumpkin was absolutely delicious; stale bread, bacon, garlic, mozzarella and gruyere cheese, cream … mmm mmm mmm! Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good is a recipe that must be added to your pumpkin recipes collection.
I just wish I had stuffed a bigger pumpkin – we could’ve used some more of this deliciousness, no doubt about that.
If you are using a bigger pumpkin, make sure to make more stuffing. Just for reference, a 3-pound pumpkin should be enough for 4, unless you are my husband and I, then it should be enough for 2. 😀
- 1 whole 3-pound pumpkin
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 pound day-old bread , cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4- pound Gruyere or Cheddar Cheese , cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves , chopped
- 4 strips bacon , cooked to a desired crisp and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2- cup heavy cream
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Using a knife, cut the top cap off the pumpkin.
- Clean out the seeds and strings inside the pumpkin.
- Season the inside with salt and fresh ground pepper and transfer the pumpkin to the previously prepared baking sheet.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bread, cheese, garlic, bacon and thyme; toss to combine.
- Stuff the cheese mixture inside the prepared pumpkin.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and nutmeg; whisk until well combined.
- Season with a little bit of salt and pepper, and stir.
- Pour the heavy cream mixture over the stuffing.
- Cover the pumpkin with the cap that you previously cut off and bake for 90 minutes.
- Remove the cap off and continue to cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until pumpkin is tender and the mixture inside the pumpkin is bubbling.
- Carefully remove pumpkin from oven and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Cut and Serve.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD Adapted from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 14