Nuts, oats, and shredded coconut granola crust, filled with a delicious fig jam.
I was just thinking… Autumn starts in like 2 days, right? Right.
So. You know those few pounds that you fought to lose only about 3 months ago to fit into that bikini? Yeah, those. If you are anything like me, and I have a feeling that you are, those elbees are about to come back. It won’t be with these Fig Jam Bars. Oh no. These are borderline healthy. But, it will be done with things such as these Sweet Potato Ginger Snap Cookie Trifles or my delicious Caramel Apple Spice Cake! YAY FALL! WE MISSED YOU!!
I love the months between September and January because I get to bake and cook, and cook and bake… Something about this season inspires most of us to bake and of course, eat!
I’m also looking forward to wearing comfortable oversized hoodies and yoga pants. All.the.time. The fashion police is gonna love me!
In other news, we are preparing to move into our new house. Little by little, we’re getting there. I’m not sure exactly when we will start to move in, but I hope it’s before the credit card bills get here. I kinda spent a teeny bit too much on our furniture. The hubs doesn’t know…yet. BUT, I have a plan.
If the furniture arrives before the bill, he won’t have a heart attack because he is going to fall in love with everything and soften up by the time that bill gets here. IF the bill comes before the furniture… well, then, Lord help me. I hope that he will at least appreciate the king size bed I got. I’m 5’6 and fit into a twin, comfortably, but it’s him and his 6’3-self that needs the bigger bed. That’s my argument right there… I did it all for you, honey!
Besides…he ate more than half of these Fig Jam Bars, so he owes me big time! I can’t blame him, though. I think these are the best granola type bars to come out of this kitchen to date. I make a lot of bars, but haven’t shared many with you because I didn’t think they were blog-worthy. However, these bars are waaaaay blog-worthy. Way. There’s nuts, there’s shredded coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, oats…
I used the last of my mother’s fig jam in here, but you can use any jam you fancy. Personally, I think they would be just as delicious with some raspberry jam, or any other berry jam.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter , softened, cut into 10 pieces.
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups fig jam
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the sides; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, oats, sugar, shredded coconut, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut in butter and work mixture into small crumbs. You can also do this with a fork or even your fingers.
- Add honey and using your hands, continue to work the mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer two-thirds of mixture to prepared pan and press it down, covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is light brown.
- Remove from oven and spread the fig jam across the top.
- Sprinkle the reserved granola mixture evenly over the jam.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool completely in the pan.
- Remove and cut into bars.