Once upon a time I was a college chick. I had my own downtown Chicago apartment and a bunch of friends to share it with on the weekends. We partied like rock stars (sometimes even with them – HI LL COOL J! ), we ate bad food, and drank whatever we could afford – aka Mad Dog 50/50. (what the? blah!)
But on Sundays all that would change because I would step into the kitchen and work some magic! (And help out a few hangovers.) This was our weekend ritual; party from Thursday to Saturday, and eat Katerina’s food on Sundays.
One Sunday afternoon, while everyone was still asleep, I rolled out of bed and before I even brushed my hair, I went straight to the fridge (too much drinky drink the night before) because my mind was on one thing, and one thing only – cream cheese dessert… any cream cheese dessert. I was actually aiming for a cheesecake, but that didn’t happen because it was going to take too long – I needed to satisfy this craving ASAP.
I then went to my trusted recipe booklet (a Microsoft Word Document) and pulled up a recipe that I had copied down from a magazine. I have no idea what magazine it came from, but I still have the recipe and go to it whenever I am in need of something quick and delicious.
I ate two full servings before someone finally got up that morning and joined me for the other two. I had to make more for the rest of the crowd.
Thus if you are making this for company, double the recipe.
Get your ramekins ready and start – these only take about 30 minutes from start to finish!
***When eating this, push the teaspoon to the side – it’s best if you use the cookies to scoop out the mixture. MMMMM!
Date and Ginger Cream Pots
- 1 package (8 ounces) Cream Cheese, room temperature, softened
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 8 fresh dates , pitted and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- zest from one small orange
- powdered sugar for garnish
- vanilla or shortbread cookies , or tea biscuits, for serving
- Preheat oven at 350.
- In a deep mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and flour.
- Fold in the dates, ginger, and orange zest.
- Spoon the mixture into small (6 ounces or smaller) lightly sprayed ramekins – you’ll need only 4.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until firm and lightly golden on top.
- Dust heavily with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla cookies or shortbread biscuits.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.