Once upon a time I was a college chick. I had my own downtown Chicago apartment and a bunch of friends to share it with on the weekends. We partied like rock stars (sometimes even with them – HI LL COOL J! ), we ate bad food, and drank whatever we could afford – aka Mad Dog 50/50. (what the? blah!)
But on Sundays all that would change because I would step into the kitchen and work some magic! (And help out a few hangovers.) This was our weekend ritual; party from Thursday to Saturday, and eat Katerina’s food on Sundays.
One Sunday afternoon, while everyone was still asleep, I rolled out of bed and before I even brushed my hair, I went straight to the fridge (too much drinky drink the night before) because my mind was on one thing, and one thing only – cream cheese dessert… any cream cheese dessert. I was actually aiming for a cheesecake, but that didn’t happen because it was going to take too long – I needed to satisfy this craving ASAP.
I then went to my trusted recipe booklet (a Microsoft Word Document) and pulled up a recipe that I had copied down from a magazine. I have no idea what magazine it came from, but I still have the recipe and go to it whenever I am in need of something quick and delicious.
I ate two full servings before someone finally got up that morning and joined me for the other two. I had to make more for the rest of the crowd.
Thus if you are making this for company, double the recipe.
Get your ramekins ready and start – these only take about 30 minutes from start to finish!
***When eating this, push the teaspoon to the side – it’s best if you use the cookies to scoop out the mixture. MMMMM!
- 1 package (8 ounces) Cream Cheese, room temperature, softened
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 8 fresh dates , pitted and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- zest from one small orange
- powdered sugar for garnish
- vanilla or shortbread cookies , or tea biscuits, for serving
- Preheat oven at 350.
- In a deep mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and flour.
- Fold in the dates, ginger, and orange zest.
- Spoon the mixture into small (6 ounces or smaller) lightly sprayed ramekins – you’ll need only 4.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until firm and lightly golden on top.
- Dust heavily with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla cookies or shortbread biscuits.
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy