In case you haven’t noticed, I love doughnuts. Honest to goodness, sometimes I get up in the morning and I whip up a batch without blinking an eye. While the coffee is brewing, I am working on some doughnut concoction. On this particular morning I just wanted a plain chocolate cake doughnut. With marshmallows. And coconut, and sprinkles, and…
And I didn’t have sprinkles!
I’ve been working on a couple of projects with my daughter, making lots of sparkly things with whatever we can find, including sprinkles, and that’s where they all went. I didn’t realize that until after the doughnuts were done. I was disappointed, but only for a minute. Who needs sprinkles when you have shredded coconut and food color. Thus, these Chocolate Cake Doughnuts with Marshmallow Fluff and Shredded Coconut were born.
The only complaint I had about these doughnuts was about the color of the “sprinkles”. Ana, my 3 year-old, was upset that the shredded coconut wasn’t a color of her choice. When I asked her what color she wanted, she said orange because, “Hawoween is coming!”. I explained to her that Halloween was 3 weeks away and we had plenty of time to make these doughnuts again. Every day since I told her that, she has been asking me, “Is today Hawoween?”. I forgot that 3 weeks to a 3 year old could mean now, tomorrow, next month…
You know what I plan to do with these chocolate doughnuts the next time around? Add peanut butter with the marshmallow fluff and make it a fluffernutter doughnut!
Chocolate Doughnuts with Marshmallow Fluff and Shredded Coconut
For the Doughnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
For the Topping
- Marshmallow Fluff
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Food Color (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease a doughnut pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and cocoa powder; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg, vanilla, milk and sour cream; beat on low just until incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and mix with a spoon just until combined; don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag with a wide tip and pipe into doughnut holes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the top of the doughnut springs back when touched.
- Remove from oven and let cool for two minutes, before inverting onto a cooling rack. Let cool.
- In the meantime prepare the shredded coconut with the food color, if using.
- Put the shredded coconut in a ziploc bag, add 3 drops of food color in the ziploc bag, seal it, and work it with your fingers until completely colored.
- Spread Marshmallow Fluff on top of doughnut and top with shredded coconut.
- Serve immediately.
- Best when eaten same day.
WW SmartPoints: 10