In case you haven’t noticed, I love doughnuts. Honest to goodness, sometimes I get up in the morning and I whip up a batch without blinking an eye. While the coffee is brewing, I am working on some doughnut concoction. On this particular morning I just wanted a plain chocolate cake doughnut. With marshmallows. And coconut, and sprinkles, and…
And I didn’t have sprinkles!
I’ve been working on a couple of projects with my daughter, making lots of sparkly things with whatever we can find, including sprinkles, and that’s where they all went. I didn’t realize that until after the doughnuts were done. I was disappointed, but only for a minute. Who needs sprinkles when you have shredded coconut and food color. Thus, these Chocolate Cake Doughnuts with Marshmallow Fluff and Shredded Coconut were born.
The only complaint I had about these doughnuts was about the color of the “sprinkles”. Ana, my 3 year-old, was upset that the shredded coconut wasn’t a color of her choice. When I asked her what color she wanted, she said orange because, “Hawoween is coming!”. I explained to her that Halloween was 3 weeks away and we had plenty of time to make these doughnuts again. Every day since I told her that, she has been asking me, “Is today Hawoween?”. I forgot that 3 weeks to a 3 year old could mean now, tomorrow, next month…
You know what I plan to do with these chocolate doughnuts the next time around? Add peanut butter with the marshmallow fluff and make it a fluffernutter doughnut!
Chocolate Doughnuts with Marshmallow Fluff and Shredded Coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Marshmallow Fluff
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Food Color (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease a doughnut pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and cocoa powder; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg, vanilla, milk and sour cream; beat on low just until incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and mix with a spoon just until combined; don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag with a wide tip and pipe into doughnut holes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the top of the doughnut springs back when touched.
- Remove from oven and let cool for two minutes, before inverting onto a cooling rack. Let cool.
- In the meantime prepare the shredded coconut with the food color, if using.
- Put the shredded coconut in a ziploc bag, add 3 drops of food color in the ziploc bag, seal it, and work it with your fingers until completely colored.
- Spread Marshmallow Fluff on top of doughnut and top with shredded coconut.
- Serve immediately.
- Best when eaten same day.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.