Chocolate Covered Caramel Popcorn Balls: Homemade caramel popcorn balls dipped in chocolate and decorated with sprinkles.
Before we start talking about caramel and popcorn and sprinkles, and Chocolate Covered Caramel Popcorn Balls, I have to tell you that I burnt the caramel. Yes, I did. I looked away for a second or two to take out the heavy cream (I forgot to take it out beforehand) and bam! Burnt! I was so upset with myself and not because I burnt it, but more because I wasted two sticks of butter and couple cups of sugar. I had so many plans for that darn caramel, but I guess it was meant for the garbage disposal. And because I was so frustrated, I didn’t even bother to make another batch. I went straight for the Brach’s caramel candies that were sitting in my pantry. I unwrapped them one by one, mixed in some butter, and there it was; Caramel a la pronto!
So you’d think that a 3 year-old would be the most excited about eating these fun treats. No, Ana was more excited about dipping the popcorn balls into the chocolate and sprinkles. The one that was most excited about eating these was my father. He called to see what I was up to, and after I told him my sob story about the caramel, I let him know about what was cookin’. He asked me to save him one or two. Later that night he had four balls of caramel popcorn; he said it reminded him of his youth.
Couple of notes about making these.
14 cups of popcorn may sound like a lot, but it’s not. It only makes about 10 balls of popcorn. By the way, 14 cups of popped popcorn is about 1 cup, or a tad bit more of unpopped popcorn. Also, don’t let the caramel cool too much before shaping the popcorn. Stir the caramel in until all the popcorn is covered and let it sit for about a minute or two to cool before you start working with it. Please make sure your hands are buttered before you start; keep a dish with some butter next to you and butter your hands before shaping each ball.
Chocolate Covered Caramel Popcorn Balls
- 14 cups popped plain popcorn , about 1 cup or a bit more of unpopped popcorn
- 1 (14 oz.) package Caramel Candies, unwrapped
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 10 popsicle sticks
- 1 (12 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Pop the popcorn.
- Place the popped popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Put the unwrapped caramel candies and butter in a medium-sized saucepan; cook over medium-low heat and stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour over popcorn.
- Mix until all the popcorn is well coated. Let stand for a couple of minutes to cool.
- In the meantime prepare your chocolate chips by melting them either in the microwave or over a double broiler. Melt until smooth.
- Grease your hands with butter and shape the popcorn into the size of a softball.
- Stick a popsicle stick in each popcorn ball and dip each popcorn ball into melted chocolate, then roll in sprinkles.
- Place on waxed paper until chocolate is set.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.