Chicken Enchilada Potato Casserole – A delicious layer of chicken, corn and black beans mixed in a beautiful enchilada sauce and topped with a layer of thin sliced potatoes. And cheese, of course.
Ladies and Gents! Guess what I’m doing today?? I’m already shakin’ at the knees. There’s butterflies in my stomach, too. Hopefully I won’t faint…
Today, I am going to my first parent/teacher conference!! OH MY GOD! I finally feel like an adult! With CHILDREN!
You know, I will flip if she tells me something I don’t wanna hear. Or I’ll just turn really, really red. I mean, Ana is only in Kindergarten – what is there to tell me?
No, seriously. I know many of you have gone through this thing – what is she going to tell me?!? I wanna be prepared.
I’m also bringing cake with me… I’mma butter her up first, then I will let her talk.
In more exciting, all-about-me news, I finally got a new laptop. YAY ME!
It’s so weird how you think you have a wonderful piece of metal with a shiny, colorful screen that is SO pretty and SO the best until you buy a new one and realize, HOLY CRAP, my old one is AWFUL!
I can’t believe the difference! And before you go thinking that I was working on a Commodore 64, let me clarify – it was a Commodore 78. 😉
Nah, it was an HP, just like my new one, but boy did they upgrade! GO HP!
Oooops… Did you come here to talk about chicken? OK. Aaaaand are you looking for a creative way to use leftover chicken? OK, great!
You know my tricks around here. Gimme chicken, gimme potatoes and we’re game!
Somewhere in the middle of that Crock Pot White Chicken Chili and those Skillet Burritos, I found myself craving something Mexicanish. Not sure what I wanted, but I knew I wanted some Southwestern flavors. A quick scan of leftovers led me to creating this deliciousness that we truly could not get enough of.
This Chicken Enchilada Potato Casserole is the juiciest, most flavorful casserole on the ever of ever. I have a 2 year old that loves to sop up everything with bread, and that is exactly what she did as soon as the rest of us left the dinner table. She kept going and going… Red sauce all over her mouth, shirt, pants… thank goodness for water.
Settle yourself into a nice and cozy apron, shred thy chicken and get on this. I think you’ll love it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 chicken breast halves , cooked and shredded
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 can (10-ounces) enchilada sauce (I like to use Mild Red Chile Enchilada Sauce)
- 2 russett potatoes or 4 medium sized red potatoes , peeled, washed and sliced into thin rounds, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley , for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add shredded chicken, corn and black beans.
- Season with cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and ground pepper.
- Stir in enchilada sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sauce is bubbly.
- In the meantime, prepare the potatoes.
- Put the sliced potatoes in a pot filled with enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring potatoes to a boil; cover and continue to cook for 3 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to the previously prepared baking dish.
- Layer slices of potatoes over the chicken mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
WW SmartPoints: 9
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy