Cardamom Rice Pilaf – Quick and easy recipe for rice pilaf with basmati rice and cardamom.
Do you know how to boil rice?
Congratulations! You now know how to make Cardamom (+ lemon zest) Rice Pilaf!
I just hope you don’t mind spending more than the cost of your left arm on some cardamom pods.
Every time I go to buy it, hubs has a minor heart attack. It’s 12$ bucks! But it lasts me a while because I don’t use it very often.
Preparation for this simple, yet tasty side dish took about 20 minutes from start to finish. I sautéed some onions, boiled the basmati rice, spiced it up, and voila – le dîner est servi! Is that correct? I hope I didn’t butcher it. :/
Although this pilaf is great when served with saucy dishes, it has enough flavor to be served all on its own, alongside some grilled chicken, fish, or any other meats.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- seeds from 7 cardamom pod , bruised
- 1 cup long-grain white rice , such as basmati
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- Put a medium saucepan over low heat and pour in the oil.
- Add the onion to the hot oil; add cardamom seeds and continue to cook and stir for about 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and everything is nicely coated with oil.
- Increase the heat to medium; add in the rice, and cook and stir until it is warmed through.
- Increase the heat, pour in the broth or water; stand back, it may sputter; stir, and bring to a boil.
- Toss in the lemon zest, season with salt and pepper, and give everything a last stir.
- Decrease heat, cover, and cook the rice until it is tender and has absorbed all (or almost all) of the liquid, 10-15 minutes, depending of the rice you've used.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the rice sit for 2 minutes before fluffing it with a fork and serving.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 6
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy