It’s #Bundtamonth time! Were you on the edge of your seat waiting for it? I was! I am enjoying every bit of this challenge. I bake a bundt at least once every two weeks as it is, thus this event makes it that much better because I get to share some of those recipes with you.
The star ingredient for this month was spice. I chose cinnamon, with a dash of nutmeg. And what goes best with those spices? Granny’s! Can’t have baked apples without both of those. Can you? And a pinch of brown sugar! Or, like, half of a cup. Put all that together and you get this sweet, yummy, deeeelicious Caramel Apple Spice Cake.
I couldn’t decide on one thing though. I tried this cake two ways; apple concoction swirled in the cake and added on top, OR no apple in the cake, but all of the apple mixture on top of the cake. I liked it without the apples inside the cake, and all the apples on top because I thought it was too soggy the other way. My husband, my mom, and my dad voted for double apple action. So I am going to leave it up to you; the cake in the photo is without apples in the batter.
The caramel that’s in the title is actually just butter and a nice helping of brown sugar, mixed in with chopped up granny smiths… loved it! I only used one medium-sized apple, but you can double, or even triple that. Make sure, though, that you triple the sauce, too. Also, if you decide to add the apple mixture to the cake batter, as well as to the top, double the recipe for the caramel apple topping. Then all you have to do is just swirl in half of the caramel apple mixture right before you put the cake in the oven.
Caramel Apple Spice Cake
For the Batter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 Granny Smith Apple , cored, quartered and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 10-cup bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- With an electric mixer, in a separate mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, continue to mix on medium low until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan, smooth the top, then bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then carefully invert it onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before adding the topping
- Prepare the topping by melting the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add in the chopped apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sautee the apples until soft, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and pour over the cake.
WW SmartPoints: 8