Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich. For National Grilled Cheese Sandwich month.
Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich month?
Now you do.
Don’t you just wanna stuff your face with that stack up there?!? I DID! And loved every second of it. Nananananana…
Once upon a time, while preparing this sandwich, a dear friend of mine told me that she didn’t like caprese salads… I went numb. I almost fell off my chair. I think I had a slight heart attack.
Who doesn’t like a Caprese Salad? I can understand hating watermelon, or honeydew, but a salad with tomatoes, and cheese, and basil?! That’s just bananas.
So, it was back in college, right after one of those “Thirsty Thursdays” nights. One too many Long Islands produced a greasy-caprese-salad-sandwich craving. Go figure. This sandwich was born that night. Okay, I’m sure someone else birthed it way before that night, but I didn’t know about it, so that’s that…
While everyone else was attacking a deep dish pizza, I was in my little kitchen preparing this with my new panini maker.
23 million (exaggeration) sandwiches later, I can confidently share a few tips for the perfect Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
1. Use Italian Bread
2. Grape tomatoes or cocktail tomatoes work best.
3. Skip the vinaigrette, and only use olive oil with a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground peppercorns.
Have a great Sunday!!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices Italian Bread
- 2 thick slices Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (I use Frigo Block of Mozzarella Cheese)
- 2 grape tomatoes , cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices, divided
- salt and freshly ground peppercorns , to taste
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- olive oil
- Preheat panini maker.
- Generously butter both slices of bread, on both sides.
Build your sandwich.
- Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on bread.
- Add half of the sliced tomatoes on top of the cheese.
- Season with salt and peppercorns.
- Add basil leaves.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Add another slice of mozzarella cheese, and top with bread.
- Place onto the hot panini press.
- Allow it to grill for about 1 minute, or until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Need more Grilled Cheese ideas?
Sweet Corn Grilled Cheese with Smoked Gouda, Scallions, and Chile Butter from Panini Happy
Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwich with Honey Roasted Grapes and Walnuts from Bake Your Day
Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Roasted Peppers and Spinach from A Culinary Journey with Chef Dennis