After our amazing NYE dinner, I thought I would never eat again! Steaks, chicken, fish, potatoes, salads, crab dips, wine, champagne, need I go on? Hubby and I were extremely satisfied and extremely full. We came home around 2 a.m. and we both crashed; carb overload. But, the next morning I felt hungrier than ever! I think it was the wine that was still spinning in my head – it needed to be soaked up quickly! And thus I began to stuff my cannelloni.
I am not too crazy about pasta, but my husband can have pasta for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all in-between. When we started dating, somewhere in the beginning stages I had made an elegant pasta dish (this was before I knew that he loved pasta) with some sun-dried tomatoes and bechamel sauce – the guy was in food heaven! He says that’s when he knew he was going to marry me. It’s true what they say – a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. 🙂 So to start off the New Year with a favorite, and because he had to work on New Year’s day (I felt bad for him), I went ahead and made one of his fave pasta dishes; Cannelloni Stuffed with Ricotta and Feta Cheese.
You will need:
- 1 package (10 – 12 pieces) of Cannelloni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tub (5 oz.) Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 package (10 oz.) of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of Tomato Sauce
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cook the cannelloni, a few pieces at a time, according to package instructions. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat EVOO and butter in a pot over medium heat then stir in the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and sauté, stirring, until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Bring the quartered cherry tomatoes into the pot and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the ricotta cheese and the feta cheese. Cook together for 2 minutes before you add in the spinach.
- Salt and pepper to taste, blend well, and remove from heat.
- Stuff the mixture into the cannelloni by using either a small spoon or a piping bag.
- Lay the cannelloni shells down inside of a baking dish or a clay baker.
- Top with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes or until pasta is cooked and cheese is golden on top.
- Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.