After our amazing NYE dinner, I thought I would never eat again! Steaks, chicken, fish, potatoes, salads, crab dips, wine, champagne, need I go on? Hubby and I were extremely satisfied and extremely full. We came home around 2 a.m. and we both crashed; carb overload. But, the next morning I felt hungrier than ever! I think it was the wine that was still spinning in my head – it needed to be soaked up quickly! And thus I began to stuff my cannelloni.
I am not too crazy about pasta, but my husband can have pasta for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all in-between. When we started dating, somewhere in the beginning stages I had made an elegant pasta dish (this was before I knew that he loved pasta) with some sun-dried tomatoes and bechamel sauce – the guy was in food heaven! He says that’s when he knew he was going to marry me. It’s true what they say – a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. So to start off the New Year with a favorite, and because he had to work on New Year’s day (I felt bad for him), I went ahead and made one of his fave pasta dishes; Cannelloni Stuffed with Ricotta and Feta Cheese.
Cannelloni Stuffed with Spinach and Cheese
- 12 cannelloni tubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tub (5 ounces) Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Pasta/Tomato Sauce
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cook the cannelloni according to package instructions. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a pot over medium heat then stir in the garlic, and cook for about a minute, constantly stirring.
- Add quartered cherry tomatoes to the pot and cook over medium-low heat for 4 minutes.
- Add in the ricotta cheese and the feta cheese. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and sauté, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Stuff the mixture into the cannelloni tubes with a small spoon or a piping bag.
- Arrange the cannelloni shells down inside of a baking dish or a clay baker.
- Top with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is golden on top.
- Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.