This Brussel Sprouts Salad with Apples and Candied Walnuts is an amazing Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish. Warm brussel sprouts loaded with tart apples and candied walnuts, this easy recipe is healthy and delicious!
Looking for more brussel sprouts recipes? They these Honey Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Honey Balsamic Glaze!
AN EASY BRUSSEL SPROUTS RECIPE FOR THANKSGIVING
A Brussel Sprouts Salad packed with all things delicious! Full of fresh and savory flavors with sliced apples, candied walnuts, and pretty little Brussel sprouts to add to the crispy crunch.
Sweet and salty, healthy and delicious, this warm salad is perfect for a crowd, but also just as great to serve on any given day. AND it only takes 20 minutes to make. 🙌
HOW TO MAKE A BRUSSEL SPROUTS SALAD
This addictive, hearty winter salad can be paired with all of your meals, but it sure looks pretty on a festive dinner table.
- First, you’ll want to cut up those brussel sprouts into fourths.
- Then cut the apples in about 1/4-inch slices. Use a green tart apple, like, Granny Smith.
- Next, add butter and olive oil to a skillet to heat up.
- Stir in the brussel sprouts and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the apples; season with salt, pepper, and fresh chopped rosemary.
- Cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
- In the meantime, make the candied walnuts by combining butter and sugars in a skillet and then stir in chopped walnuts.
- Transfer brussel sprouts and apples to a serving bowl and stir in candied walnuts.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds (optional) and serve.
I like to add feta cheese to this salad, sometimes, but bleu cheese would also be great. Chopped crispy bacon would be EVEN better! 😃
Also, if you don’t have pomegranate arils, you can add in dried cranberries instead.
Lastly, this salad is good when served warm OR cold.
HOW TO STORE COOKED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
This is an easy Brussel sprouts recipe to make and it lasts a couple of days in the fridge. Just store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for 2 to 3 days.
WHAT PAIRS WELL WITH BRUSSEL SPROUTS?
MORE BRUSSEL SPROUTS RECIPES
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Stir Fry
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 small tart apples, cut into 1/4-inch slices (You can also use 1 big apple)
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- pomegranate arils, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Heat butter and olive oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
Add prepared Brussel sprouts to the skillet and cook for 4 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
Stir in sliced apples, salt, pepper, and rosemary; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
In the meantime, prepare the walnuts by starting to melt the butter in a saucepan.
Add sugars to the melted butter and stir until incorporated; mix in walnuts and continue to stir around for about a minute.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Remove Brussels sprouts and apples from heat and let cool for a minute.
Spoon salad onto serving plate and garnish with candied walnuts and pomegranate arils.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 9
This recipe was originally published on November 16, 2013, and updated with new photos on November 20, 2019.