I’m just gonna come right out and say it – I loooove ice cream! You didn’t know? You mean those 1226.8 ice cream recipes on this blog didn’t give it away?! 😉
These Banana Split Cream Puffs were inspired by a day at the ice cream shoppe. I was pretending to be there because of my kids. We walked in and, in total Ross voice, I was all like, “Oh, Hi… phew… I’m so annoyed… the kids are driving me crazy… let us have some banana split(s). Yeah…they will eat all three splits… for sure! Yep, even the baby.”
I won’t tell you what happened to the remaining 2 split(s) when we got in the car.
On the drive back home, after my face-to-face meeting with the ice cream, I remembered that my wonderful friends over at OXO had just sent me a box of amazing goodies, including a pineapple slicer, and the idea just clicked! I saw the light bulb right above my right shoulder. Sah-weet!
Funny thing is, during the making of these puffs, things got a bit chaotic in the kitchen. The little babe decided to get into my ingredients. Egg shells and flour all over the floor, sugar in her mouth, and a whisk in her hand. A day like any other. Or so that seems to be the pattern. Thank goodness for baking – it’s my yoga. It always seems to ease the chaos just a tad bit.
So, here’s the dealio.
I hope you have some parchment paper lying around. And 10 eggs. You will also need to make your own puddin’. Or not. Don’t sweat it. You can always go with the instant stuff. I’ll still add the recipe, just in case you decide to get all Martha-Stewarty. Also, don’t be scurred to make cream puffs, or eclairs. (You know that’s like the same thing, right? One is shaped into a log the other is round) They are incredibly easy to make! Honestly. The French pastry chefs wanna make it all sound so hard, but buhlieve me, it ain’t!
Find a minute or 1.25 hours and make these! Impress them all on Memorial Day with your version of Banana Split. It will be our little secret! 😉
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 stick butter , cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 whole eggs
- (You can also use Vanilla Instant Pudding)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter , room temperature, cut into pieces
- 1 fresh pineapple , peeled, cored sliced (depending on the size of the pineapple, you will most likely use 1/2 of it)
- 4 bananas , sliced into rounds
- chocolate syrup
- whipped topping
- maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line two baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine milk, water, butter, salt and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Cook over high heat, and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add flower and lower to medium-low.
- Start stirring fast with a wooden spoon, and continue to stir until the dough comes together and you have a shiny and smooth ball of dough.
- Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and let rest for a few minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next, and beat until the dough is thick and shiny. Don't add the eggs all at once.
- Drop a tablespoon of dough onto parchment paper, leaving about 2-inches in between each dough ball.
- Place both baking sheets in oven and immediately lower oven temperature to 375.
- Bake for 12 minutes; rotate the pans by placing the bottom pan on the top, and the top pan to the bottom; bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- Let cool.
- While cooling, make the filling.
- (Skip this part if using Instant Pudding)
- In a saucepan combine yolks, sugar, and cornstarch; whisk until well incorporated.
- Heat milk to a boil.
- Slowly pour 1/4 cup of milk into egg mixture and whisk until blended.
- Slowly pour the rest of the milk while whisking.
- Put the pan over medium-high heat and continue to whisk.
- Bring to a boil and whisk for another minute or two, or until the mixture comes together.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the butter, and continue to whisk until blended and mixture is smooth.
- Completely cool the filling by placing the pan in a large bowl filled with cold water and ice. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the cream puffs in half.
- Place a few chunks of pineapple on the bottom of the puffs.
- Fill with prepared filling and place banana slices on top of filling.
- Close with cream puffs caps.
- Top with chocolate syrup, whipped topping, and a maraschino cherry.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use.