A simple, yet incredibly delicious appetizer of mini sweet peppers stuffed with a flavorful sauteed mixture of bacon and mushrooms.
Hello, pal! Happy Sunday!
Wanna talk about bacon stuffed into one thing or another? Who doesn’t?!?
You know, it’s true what they say, and I’ll be first to admit – I have a stuffing addiction. I’ll stuff anything, food wise, with everything. Look around, you will notice that we have a collection; Quinoa and Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes, Garden Salad Feta Stuffed Burgers, Sausage Stuffed Eggplant… I’m not even done, but you know what I’m sayin’.
I’m also addicted to ice cream, chocolate, and pizza, among many other things that resemble food.
But, stuffed peppers has a different place in my heart. Yes, it’s that deep.
I grew up on stuffed peppers. Ask any Macedonian about a weekly item on their menu and they will most certainly say stuffed peppers. My Mom stuffed them with ground beef and rice. Sort of like what I did here, when I first started blogging. How cute…I thought if I got just that much closer to the pepper, it would make the reader salivate… instead, that pepper is about to poke your eye out. 🙂 Anywho…
Let me get to the point here…
I “heard” that you have been wondering about what the heck to do with those cute, mini sweet peppers that you see at the grocer every time you pass through the produce isle. Because of that, this is the appetizer I suggest you make today, or sometime very, very soon. It has bacon in it. BACON! And mushrooms, and onions…and I just had to throw a sprinkle of feta cheese. I couldn’t do this without the cheese. I LOVED the bit of sharpness that it added to the whole bacon and mushroom marriage.
Besides, that whole bacon and mushroom marriage is pretty amazing. I ain’t gonna lie – I was spooning it into my mouth as I was stuffing the peppers. Then, with only 5 peppers left, I ran out of filling. ~shrug~
Apparently, I also like to stuff food just straight into my trap…
P.S. Make a meal out of it by replacing the mini peppers with 4 big and pretty bell peppers!
Bacon and Mushrooms Stuffed Peppers
- 1- pound mini sweet peppers , cut in half
- salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced thick-cut bacon
- 2 cups sliced mini portobellas
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with cooking spray.
- Transfer cut peppers to prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the insides with salt; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add the bacon, mushrooms, and onions.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared peppers.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until peppers are fork-tender.
- Serve warm.