Back in the day when I was this tall, my parents and I would take off into the beautiful forests in Macedonia and hunt for mushrooms all day long. There was no escape, I was on my way to becoming a mushroom-ivore, like the rest of the fam.
At one point in my life my main meal consisted of a bowl of mushrooms with some honey-mustard dressing. :/
I grew out of that. I learned how to cook.
Now I serve them as a side dish, an appetizer, or a topping of some sorts.
But while I know how to hunt for these babies, I really had no clue that one, I could grow them in my kitchen, and two, I can grow them in my kitchen?!
I’ve never grown mushrooms before! But I have been hearing about mushroom kits for some time now, and when the box arrived, I could not wait to tear it open and see what happens!
Back To The Roots is the brainchild of two UC Berkeley students, Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora, who went from investment banking to mushroom farmers – genius!
What’s more interesting is that their oyster mushrooms grow in 100% recycled coffee grounds – brilliant!
Therefore, I wanted to share this wonderful product with you and offer one of my lucky readers a kit of their own! The Back to the Roots’ mushroom kit lets you grow up to 1 1/2 lbs of gourmet oyster mushrooms in as little as 10 days!
I also have a 10% discount for all the readers of Diethood! Please visit Back To The Roots, and use the following code at checkout: Mushrooms4me10.
Want to know how you can WIN a Mushroom Kit?! Main Entry: Leave a comment below and tell me about your day! Or just say HI! Extra Entries: Make sure to leave a comment for each of the following entries! You MUST leave each entry as a separate comment or only one comment will count. Like Diethood on Facebook Follow Diethood on Twitter Suscribe to Diethood Follow Back To The Roots on Twitter Like Back to the Roots on Facebook Stumble this giveaway
That’s a total of seven chances to win! IMPORTANT: This giveaway is open to USA residents only. All entries must be completed no later than Wednesday, August 24th at 11:59 p.m. CST. One winner will be chosen via Random.org on Thursday, August 25th. Winner will be announced on my blog and the winner will also be notified via the email address they provided in the comments section.
This Giveaway is now closed
Once you receive the box and grow the ‘shrooms, consider making this delicious appetizer of Mushroom Bruschetta.
You will need:
- 1 medium-sized French baguette or Italian bread
- olive oil to brush on top of bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-ounces of mushrooms, wiped clean
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush.
- Place the bread slices on a foil-lined baking sheet, olive oil side down.
- Toast for 5-6 minutes, or until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
- In the meantime prepare the mushrooms.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over moderate heat until hot; add in the mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Remove the bread slices from the oven and let cool for a minute.
- Turn over the the toasted bread, olive oil side up, and rub lightly with garlic clove while still warm.
- Top toasted bread with sauteed mushrooms and garnish with fresh parsley.
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy