It’s been a while, I know. When I take a vacation I forget to come back. BUT, I only take a vacation once a year, so not to worry, it will be a while before I leave again.
By the way, I am soooo jet lagged. There’s a 7 hour time difference and now I go to bed at 7 p.m. and I wake up at 4 a.m… this needs to change… It always takes me at least a week.
But, while I was away visiting my beautiful country, Macedonia, I picked up a little something for you!
An authentic, Macedonian hand-made baking clay dish! Do you love it? I hope so!
Many of Macedonia’s national dishes are cooked in clay pots, so I immediately ran to one of the oldest bazaars in Macedonia located in the capital of Skopje and bought one for you…errrr….for one of you!
Are you ready to win?
Leave a comment below and tell me where you went on your last vacation!
Make sure to leave a comment for each of the following entries!
You MUST leave each entry as a separate comment or only one comment will count.
- Subscribe to Diethood
- Like Diethood on Facebook
- Follow Diethood on Twitter
- Tweet about this giveaway and tell me that you tweeted in the comments section
- Share this giveaway on your Facebook Page and tell me that you did so in the comments section
- Stumble this giveaway
This giveaway is open to USA residents only.
All entries must be completed no later than Thursday, October 6th, 2011, at 11:59 p.m. CST.
One winner will be chosen via Random.org on Friday, October 7th.
Winner will be announced on Friday, October 7th, on my blog, and the winner will also be notified via the email address they provided in the comments section.
And now here’s a popular Macedonian dish, Turli Tava (mixed pot), that is cooked in a clay dish (can be done in any other casserole dish), and it is people’s most favorite in the summer and fall. It’s also very delicious.
Vegetable and Meat Stew – Turli Tava
- Preheat oven to 400.
You will need:
- 1 pound of mixed meat – pork and beef – cut in chunks for stew
- Sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, stem removed and roughly chopped
- 2 red or green bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of okra, tops and tails cut off, blanched in salted water for 1 minute, rinsed and drained (if unavailable replace with green beans)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Parsley, roughly chopped to garnish
- Season veal, pork and chicken with salt and pepper and set inside the clay dish.
- Mix in the vegetables.
- Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add in the olive oil and water; mix well.
- Put it in the oven and cook it uncovered for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Let cool for 20 minutes then serve it warm with crusty bread. Utensils not needed. You’ll see.