Buffalo Chicken Tacos, how I love thee. As long as the sauce is extra mild.
Hot, spicy foods are not my thing. Especially out in public – it’s not a pretty sight. As soon as I bite into, say, a hot wing, I start making that ‘ooph ooph’ sound, followed up by the ‘sssss’ sound through my teeth… Then, my nose starts to run, my lips begin to smack… oh, I look like a hot mess.
Good thing my husband is also a mild-sauce kind of a guy… Wimp. 😉
As you can see, in order to enjoy our wings, chicken, or tacos, we need to get creative.
Around here, taco night happens about once a week. I play with the fillings, thus a plain, beef and cheese taco almost never makes it to our dinner table. Vegetarian fillings, Mediterranean fillings, Seafood fillings – those are the kind of tacos I like to serve. However, Shredded Buffalo Chicken Tacos are our favorite. A delicious meal that comes together in under 30 minutes.
My version is just pan-fried chicken breast, roughly shredded and tossed in a mild buffalo wing sauce. I like to serve it on a bed of lettuce and red onions with a bit of ranch dressing, all wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla. My husband doesn’t like bleu cheese, thus a sprinkle of feta cheese never hurt anybody.
If you are looking to make a quick, finger-lickin’ good meal, try these tacos. Feel free to use the hottest wing sauce you can find, and if bleu cheese is your thing, go ahead and use that instead of feta.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce (you can use more, or less, if you like)
- 4 to 6 whole wheat tortillas
- ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts and place them in the hot oil.
- Cook on both sides until the chicken is done.
- Remove from skillet.
- Pour the sauce in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the shredded chicken to the wing sauce and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread about a teaspoon, or two, of ranch dressing on each tortilla.
- Layer with lettuce, red onions and shredded chicken.
- Add feta cheese on top.
- Serve warm.