Pan Roasted Asparagus Almondine – Asparagus spears sauteed with almonds, red onions and lemon slices.
You guys! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!
Since everyone is welcome to be Irish today, for the next 24-hours you can call me Katherine McPetrovska! That’s just the way I like to roll on this special day.
Kidding aside, I’ve always LOVED those “Mc” last names. “O-to the power of apostrophe” ain’t so bad, either.
Soooo, are you drunk, yet?! I know it’s Monday, but it’s St. Paddy’s – you’re celebrating a Saint, and that is all that counts. Even if it means being hammered on a Monday… by noon.
Therefore, I decided to still go with something green, but not before a game of eeny meeny miney moe. Eeny-Meeny makes a lot of the decisions around here.
If this dish sounds devastatingly close to that other almondine-vegetable-thing…well, then, I guess it is. But, really, it’s not. It’s Asparagus. My thing with green beans is that they are too, umm, how shall I say, boring. Yeah. They are boring. Just straight and smooth. However, with asparagus, there’s texture! And a whole lot more flavor! Agree?!
On top of that, once you add all these other great ingredients, like lemon and red onions, this side dish goes from very.good to super.delicious!
Not sure about you, but I love pan roasted veggies tossed with a bit of salt, pepper and some olive oil. That makes me happy. Simple food is da bomb. Sometimes I even throw a handful of crumbled feta. And bacon. Yah, bacon is where it’s at. Put bacon on it… people will fall in love with you, quickly!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1-pound asparagus spears, rinsed, ends trimmed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Cut lemon in half.
- Slice one-half of lemon into 4 slices; juice the other half and set aside.
- Add asparagus spears, onions, and lemon slices to the frying pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, and cook on medium-high for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add sliced almonds and continue to cook for 2 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss with reserved lemon juice. (optional)
MORE ASPARAGUS RECIPES: