Feta cheese – you either love it, or hate it. I had no choice but to love it. As a Macedonian you are almost expected to want to eat it night and day. It’s like an Italian and his mozzarella cheese; they go hand in hand.
I can eat feta with every meal, and with every course of that meal; I put it in my salads, I stuff it in my peppers, I flame it, I even bake it! Oooooh I love it when it’s baked!
Baked feta cheese dip can, and will, turn all feta-haters around. This appetizer is served at just about every restaurant in Macedonia (called сирење во фурна – sirenje vo furna) and one serving is never enough. It’s cheesy, it’s garlicky, a bit tart, and it’s warm and gooey. And, it will make you cry for more. Trust me.
To fully enjoy it all you will need is a side of flatbread, white wine, or beer, and a grilled steak to follow.
I think you just drooled – It’s okay – you can thank me later.
Recipe also featured on Foodbeast
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of your favorite tomato sauce (I use my homemade sauce)
- ½ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven at 400.
- In a small oven-safe baking dish, or a clay pot, layer the crumbled cheese, covering the entire bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic on top of the feta cheese.
- Spoon the tomato sauce, covering the entire cheese and garlic mixture
- Mix together the mozzarella cheese and the cheddar cheese; layer on top of the tomato sauce.
- Bake it in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve it warm with a side of flatbread or tortilla chips.