Sweet and creamy chocolate truffles made with a silky mixture of white chocolate and mascarpone cheese.
Um. Why did spell check just try to change mascarpone?! I think spell check needs a check!
You guys! I am shocked.
I thought I was above it. I thought I was beyond it. I thought it couldn’t reach me. But, it got me!
This bug that’s been going around got me and I was in bed for 48.56 hours!
I couldn’t move a muscle. I ached all over, my head was spinning, I couldn’t get up, and! and! AND! I couldn’t eat! Oh, the torture!
Am I being a brat? I’m sorry… I just don’t like being out of commission for more than 5 minutes, let alone 2 whole days! Thank the Lawwwwwd up above that I am able to sit up, move around, and eat. Oh my gosh, that was just horrible. I hope you are all doing well and not letting this polar vortex knock you out.
So, this is not a very new-year-resolution-diet-friendly-dessert, now is it? It’s not. It’s creamy, it’s chocolaty, and it’s delicious. And it’s very sweet. If you like sweet, this is your new favorite chocolate truffle. Like… the best, most ridiculous, decadent chocolate truffle, yet.
You see, this is what happens when you are left with a quarter-tub of mascarpone cheese that is already 10 days past its ‘best by’ date, and when said amount is not enough to make a killer tiramisu.
But, because I hadn’t made any chocolate truffles since those Chocolate Cake Ice Cream Truffles, I figured it was time to remedy that problem. Besides, my husband is a huge chocoholic, and these little bites definitely satisfied his sweet chocolaty tooth.
However, these are absolutely special occasion bites. Like, Valentine’s special. Christmas special, too, but that’s behind us, so focus on Mr. Valentine. Or Mrs.
Also… if you want to be remembered as the best Valentine, EVER!? Make these, bring these, eat these.
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate candy coating, melted
- ½ cup white chocolate chips, melted
- Set up a double boiler by filling a saucepan with about 3-inches of water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add a large bowl on top (one that will not touch the water on the bottom) and add white chocolate chips and vegetable oil to the top bowl.
- Stirring frequently, cook until melted.
- Remove from heat and let stand 30 seconds.
- Add mascarpone cheese and mix until smooth.
- Add orange zest and vanilla; continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge and let stand 3 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet or plate with wax paper.
- Using a teaspoon or a melon baller, scoop out the mixture and form into 1-inch balls.
- Dip each ball in the melted chocolate candy coating.
- Set on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until all truffles are done.
- Pour the melted white chocolate in a piping bag or in a ziploc bag with the corner cut-off, and drizzle the melted chocolate over the truffles.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
MORE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES: