I must be out of my mind. I have posted every day this week. That’s a lot of work!
But, I couldn’t resist – I had to post on Fat Tuesday and on Valentine’s Day. Those days are a must. I also had to tell you about my Oprah feature. At least you got Lemon Crepes with Raspberry Sauce and a Strawberry and Cream 3-minute Mug Cake out of it, right? Right. And today you will get rice pudding. Win, win. 😉
Lately I have been on this quick-desserts kick. And almost all of them have involved chocolate. Quick Cherry and Chocolate Cake, anyone? Some things I make for the love of others and some things I make for the love of my me-time. The quicker the dessert, the more time I get to spend with you, and with my favorite blogs. Oh! And with my kids!! 😉
Couple of facts about this quick rice pudding.
This treat was for my dad. I have been making rice pudding since I was 12 years old, and he taught me how to make it. Plain, white rice pudding with a sprinkle of cinnamon was his specialty. It was good for a while, but I got tired of it. Years later I started developing my own versions of rice pudding.
Of all the versions I have made, Instant Chocolate Mocha Rice Pudding is my dad’s favorite. Sweet, silky, and chocolaty – it almost tastes like you are eating a textured chocolate bar.
If feeling tired, bored, cold, strapped for time, and ready to eat that entire bag of chocolate chips, might I suggest making this rice pudding and calling it a day? It’s warm and cozy and quick.
- 1 cup instant white rice
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- ¼ cup whole milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- orange zest for garnish
- Place the rice, milk, sugar, and coffee in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat; cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, butter, and chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and continue to stir until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with orange zest and serve immediately.