Click up there and follow ME on Bloglovin!
Are you following me on Google Reader? In case you didn’t know, Google Reader will cease to exist on July 1st. Allow me a second to show you how to move your Google Reader Subscriptions to Bloglovin. It will take you about 32 seconds. Honestly.
You just click right here: http://www.bloglovin.com/import/reader and then follow the directions.
TaDa! You’re done!!
Now we can resume and discuss this amazing Cakewich.
Oh, c’mon! You know? Of course you know. It’s slices of cake filled with awesomeness and then grilled on your panini press. Make sense? It’s similar to that Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich, but not really.
You see, I had too many strawberries, a pound cake, and mozzarella cheese. What else was I going to do with all that?
Problem was solved with this Grilled Strawberry Caprese Cakewich.
A close family friend of ours is a restaurateur, and he happened to stop by the day that I was working on this hot mess. When he saw me “taking care” of the pound cake as I was, he gasped! What are you doing?! That’s a classic!!!
I said, look, this classic needs either an updo or a makeover. Besides, throwing jellied strawberries on top of it ain’t gonna fly on my blog, ya know?!
Next thing you know he’s working on his second cakewich, and I’m trying to save a couple so I can take a photo or two! But you can’t be rude and say, hey, my wonderful house guest, could you stop eating that and let me photograph it! You can’t do that to just anyone. I can say it to the hubs – he can take it. He’s used to it. But when you start doing it to your guests, I think it’s safe to call Food Photographers Anonymous.
These cakewiches, me thinks, would be mahvelous served on the 4th of July. You could even throw them on the grill. It’s cool. Noone will tell you not to. A flip, or two later, and they will be cheesy, gooey, and very chocolaty.
And since we’re being straight forward and all, I need to tell you that I didn’t make the pound cake. It’s store-bought. Sara Lee and I go way back – college, Sara Lee’s pound cake, chocolate syrup, and canned whip cream … Freshman 15 … those were the days… 😀
- 4 slices pound cake (slices should be about ½-inch thick)
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 strawberries, sliced, divided
- ground fresh peppercorns
- 2 basil leaves, thinly sliced (chiffonade), divided
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, melted, divided
- Chocolate Syrup
- Preheat panini grill.
- Place two slices of mozzarella on top of two slices of pound cake.
- Add strawberries over mozzarella.
- Season with fresh peppercorns.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- Add chocolate.
- Top with remaining mozzarella slices.
- Close the cakewich by placing the remaining slices of cake on top.
- Place onto the hot panini press.
- Close the press and allow it to grill for about 1 minute, or until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Top with more chocolate (optional) and serve immediately.