Deviled Avocados – For a twist on traditional deviled eggs, these avocados are filled with a mixture of eggs, bacon, feta cheese, green onions, avocados, and a cool delicious helping of yogurt that brings it all together.
Oh hi. Again. Twice in one day. Ah well… it’s what happens when you don’t pay attention to your editorial calendar…
Editorial calendar? makes me sound SO professional. I’ll take it!
Anyhew… Doesn’t this avocado look like it’s asking you to take a spoon to it and have a field day? ‘Cause you should!
This deliciousness that is before us today is the product of a retro recipe gone modern: Deviled Avocados.
We all know #ThrowbackThursday or #TBT is a popular trend on social media where people post photos of themselves from back in the day. BUT! Do you know what’s better than a TBT?! I’ll tell you! A TBP hosted by BHG! … You down with O.P.P.? Yeah, you know ME! 🎤🎤🎤
errrr! sorry. #notsorry. I can’t help it! If a word reminds me of a song, I bust out the tune. 😳
Since time travel hasn’t been invented yet, Better Homes and Gardens, myself, and a few other amazing bloggers are doing the next best thing; we’re having a Throwback Party and recreating retro recipes with a modern twist. At the same time, we’re also celebrating BHG’s new magazine called Get Together!
The magazine is beautiful and a wonderful resource for those that love to entertain. It is filled with party ideas as well as lots of fabulous recipes. They have amazing party themes to consider, DIY invitations, hostess gifts, party food, and so much more! You can pick up your copy of Get Together! at newsstands today or online HERE to help you start planning those warm summer parties. 🎉🎉🎉
To make things even extra fun and special, BHG is showering us with these gorgeous vintage recipe cards that you can download right now. For free! Aren’t they adorable?! I’m way too enthusiastic for anything chic and vintage. 💗 True story. Thus, it’s no secret that I’m a fan of vintage food. Baklava, anyone? Or even better: Citrus Berry Terrine! Don’t judge. Jellied fruit is pretty. Yes, it is! AND delicious.
Here’s the thing, though, about my Deviled Avocados. At first, I didn’t think I was going to be crazy about ’em. I happen to like my egg salad in a bowl, not even a croissant, but considering to throw it all in an avocado shell?!? Heck, why not! I mean, we’re talking about the incredible foursome: avocados, eggs, feta and bacon!
My mom was also over the day that I made this. She prefers the classics, especially deviled eggs, so I had to really convince her to try these avocados. At first, she was a straight up “NO!”.
I was like “OMG Mom, tryyyy it! It’s sooo goooood!” and then I’d take another bite and be all “WOW! I can’t believe you won’t even try it!!” and then she finally tried it! AND she loved it. And then we made more to share with the rest of the fam.
Now you should make it happen, too! In the meantime, hop over to your social media channels and search the hashtag #BHGParty to see tons of other recipes and ideas. You can also see the complete roundup of Vintage Recipes at Better Homes and Gardens.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 3 avocados , halved, pits removed, flesh scooped out, reserve shells
- fresh lime juice
- 3 hard boiled eggs , diced
- 4 slices turkey bacon , cooked to a crisp and crumbled
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced, white parts only (reserve green parts for garnish)
- 1/2- cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3- cup nonfat plain yogurt
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Place avocado flesh in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Squeeze lime juice inside of the scooped out avocado shells and set aside.
- Add diced eggs, crumbled bacon, sliced green onions, feta cheese, salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Using the back of a fork or a potato masher, start mashing and folding the salad until a thick mixture forms.
- Stir in the yogurt; taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Add prepared avocado filling to scooped avocado shells. Pile it high.
- Garnish with green onions, chopped bacon, and parsley.
Recipe NotesWW SmartPoints: 8