Cola and Jam Spareribs – Jam, cola, and ginger make the perfect marinade for these baby back ribs. The taste of barbeque without the grill.
You know that snapping sound your mouth makes when you lick some goodness off your fingers?
There was four of us at the dining room table making that exact sound while eating these ribs.
Talk about a good piece of meat. WOW!
I had that rack marinating for over 24 hours in my fridge. Then I placed it in a roasting pan and cooked it, nice and slow, for 2 hours.
The delicious marinade is a mixture of orange juice and apricot jam, accompanied by a blend of spices.
The recipe called for Chinese five-spice, but since I didn’t have any, I made my own blend; cinnamon, chile powder, peppercorns, savory, and celery seed. Finished it off with some ginger and garlic salt.
Half hour before pulling out the ribs, I added in a cup of Coca-Cola, then basted the meat every 5 minutes until it was done.
Cola and Jam Spareribs
Cola and Jam Spareribs
- 1/3- cup apricot jam
- 1/3- cup orange juice
- 1 whole lemon , juiced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 rack (about 3-pounds) spareribs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small saucepan, combine apricot jam and orange juice and heat for 1 minute, or until mixture starts to simmer.
- Remove from heat and let stand 1 minute.
- Stir in lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a small dish, combine chinese five-spice powder, ginger, salt and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cut the rack of ribs in half.
- Make a slash in between every 2 ribs. Do not cut through.
- Rub the ribs with the spice mix and with the jam mixture.
- At this point, you can place the ribs in a plastic bag and marinade for about 3 to 4 hours, or you can continue without marinading.
- Place spareribs in a baking pan/dish. (You may need to use 2 baking pans if ribs are too large.)
- Pour water around the ribs.
- Bake for 45 minutes; remove from oven and baste the ribs. If bottom of baking dish is dry, add a little water.
- Slide back into the oven and continue to roast for an additional 45 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Remove from oven and pour Coca Cola around the ribs; put back into the oven and continue to roast for 30 minutes, basting them every 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Cut the ribs apart and serve.
Recipe adapted from Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours