Can we have a heart to heart? Please! Good. Thanks! It’s about this recipe.
Happy Accidents should be the name of these Coconut Milk Bars.
You see, it all started out so beautiful and promising – with sugar and butter and coconut, I was on my way to making what would have been the sweetest, silkiest coconut truffles. I had a couple of hours to myself thus I thought I should use up that time and experiment in the kitchen.
Half way through my experimentation, I knew I was not going to see the results that I wanted. Eh, I thought, let’s just keep going. And going, and going, and… I kept whisking, and whisking some more, but I could not get the milk mixture to solidify. Seriously! I was not prepared for this! Argh!
I walked away from the kitchen for about 20 minutes – had to take care of my Pinterest fix – and when I came back, a remedy for my failed attempt came to mind. If you can’t roll it, spread it! Ahem… I’m talking about the milk mixture.
And just like that these super-sweet Coconut Milk Bars were born.
Here is how it goes it: You make a simple syrup, boil it, and let it boil – for.like.everrrr. – and then you dump a stick of butter in there. You melt the butter and whisk in powdered milk. You continue to whisk until your arm falls off. Then you spread that over this amazing brown butter crust, dress it up with lots of shredded coconut, and bam! Coconut Milk Bars in your hand. Happy Accidents.
Thanks for listening.
By the way, did you need a use for that huge jug of powdered milk? Cause if you did, this is where you should use it. Totally.
Moist, gooey, super sweet Coconut Milk Bars made with milk, shredded coconut, and a sprinkle of hazelnuts.
For the Milk Mixture
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, cut into 6 cubes
- 3 cups powdered milk
- 2 cups shredded coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
For the Crust
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Milk Mixture
- Pour water and sugar in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil; continue to boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in butter; stir until melted.
- Gradually pour in the powdered milk while continuously whisking until thickened and smooth.
- Let sit in cool temperature for 2 hours, or until completely cooled and thick, but spreadable.
- In the meantime prepare the crust.
For the Crust
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with baking spray and set aside.
- In medium-sized bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, with a mixer beat together brown sugar, butter, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Take about 2/3 of the dough to the prepared pan and press the dough down onto the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Spread 1 cup of the shredded coconut on top of the dough.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread the cooled milk mixture over the baked crust.
- Sprinkle the rest of the dough over the milk mixture.
- Evenly sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts and layer the rest of the shredded coconut.
- Put back in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until puffed up and golden brown
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.