Today is Mother’s Day! Happy Mommy Day to all you Mommas out there! Including me!!
My Mommy, who is in the kitchen making some coffee for us both at this moment, is one of the strongest and most dedicated women that I have ever known. She is also very kind, she is caring, and she is wise. When I grow up I want to be just like her!
Since today is our day, she and I will be spending it together in the kitchen. The little lady, Ana, will also hang out with us! And to kick off this day I made something very special for my Mom.
For some it’s just a banana bread, but for my Mom this is her caviar, her filet mignon, and her glass of Merlot! But it’s not the banana that she’s after – it’s the inclusion of coconut oil and coconut flakes that she loves. And I mean LOVES! Whenever I make this, she practically kisses me from head to toe.
This time around I made a slight change, though – I used a different brand of coconut oil. A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by Kelapo and asked if I would like to try their coconut oil product. I of course accepted – who wouldn’t?! It’s coconut oil! YUM!
When I received the jar, I immediately opened it, took a whiff (mmmm), and ate a spoonful – it was so good! I kid you not. And no, they did not pay me to say that. No really…they just sent me the jar to try it.
I first tried it in a cookie recipe and those turned out great. Now I included it in this banana bread, and it honestly is the best banana bread I have ever made. But, what’s more important is that my Mom loves it! She can not get enough of this morning treat that we are having right at this moment. I wish I could share a slice with all you Mommas out there! I hope you are all having a wonderful day today!
Coconut Banana Nut Bread
You will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Kelapo Coconut Oil
- 8 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 3/4 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup of chopped mixed nuts, toasted (I use cashews, almonds, and pecans)
- handful of sliced almonds for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven at 350.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the coconut oil and the light brown sugar.
- Continue to mix as you add in the bananas, then the milk and vanilla. Mix for another 2 minutes. You are looking for a smooth batter.
- Next, while still mixing, add in the dry ingredients, one tablespoon at a time, making sure each addition is mixed in well before adding the next.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chopped nuts and the coconut flakes.
- Transfer to a loaf pan and sprinkle the top with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY! xoxo