Chicken and Vegetables Pasta Bake is a favorite and easy chicken, vegetable and pasta dish, featuring beautiful colors and amazing flavor!
My friend, Julie, and myself SWEAR that we came up with the WOOOOT!! WOOOOT!! phrase. It was like 1994, or maybe even sooner, and while we were barely of driving age, we knew how to get the party started.
I’m also fairly certain that I started the whole chicken in pasta bake-thing way back when, but I’m sure there are many of you that are going to beg to differ. Thus, I’m not making that claim around here… I’ll let it stay in my head.
Also? Happy Wednesday! Have no fear, Friday is almost near!
This one time “at band camp”, I said something about wishing it was Friday and the big boss lady went off! Her words; If you wish it was the future every day, you’ll never live in the present! She was right!! Since then, I have not made a wish that it was Friday.
Therefore, every day at 11:11, I just wish that ALL carbs and sugar will finally be added to the “healthy food charts”.
So. It all started one unassuming winter/spring afternoon. I opened up the fridge and decided to clean it up. Best.chore.ever. NOT! Can’t WAIT for my kids to grow up so I can pawn those not-so-hot chores off to them!
As I was saying. I cleaned out the fridge and I was left with a few items that either needed to be tossed out right away, or used up asap. I decided on the latter.
I had wrinkled-up cherry tomatoes, about-to-wilt mushrooms, questionable carrots, and softened garlic.
Truth is, when you buy your veggies at the farmer’s market, they tend to go bye-bye a bit sooner than their grocery-store counterparts.
Guess what else? I had leftover chicken and some penne pasta to get rid of, as well! I put two and two together… or four and three together… and this is what I came up with. Chicken and Vegetables Pasta Bake – because your wilted veggies and your leftover grilled chicken should never meet the trash can.
See? I’m ALWAYS looking out for you!
- ½-pound penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 to 4 cooked chicken breast-halves, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, cut into rounds
- ⅓-cup vegetable or chicken broth
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8-oz package) cream cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook penne pasta according to the instructions on the box.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet; add chicken, mushrooms, garlic and carrots; cook until heated through, and carrots are fork tender.
- In the meantime, in a small mixing bowl whisk together broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, italian seasoning and flour; whisk until completely combined.
- Add to skillet with chicken and stir.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cream cheese and continue to cook until cream cheese is smooth, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Add pasta mixture, chicken mixture and tomatoes; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove foil, stir mixture and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.