A light, fluffy baked donut filled with fresh cherries.
Hi! I’m back! Not normal to be here twice in one day. I know that!
BUT, I’m in a challenge. A 10-pound cherry challenge. AND I want to win!
Let me refresh your memory.
Remember the Black Forest Cannoli? Well, those were part of the first installment. These Cherry Donuts make up the rest of the installment.
OXO Tools and Northwest Cherries are challenging moi, and a few other fabulous bloggers, to use up 10-pounds of cherries. SO glad it wasn’t a double dare because all my cherries are gone! And let me tell you, that wasn’t hard to do. What I won’t be sharing with you is how I stuffed my face with fresh cherries, for 2 or 3 days in a row. Then I realized I had to use them in a recipe!
The Cherry Donuts had to happen because I have a thing for donuts. Chocolate Cake Doughnuts, Baked Carrot Cake Doughnuts, etc… However, I am not one to just drive over to my nearest Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ Donuts… I don’t do that. Not sure why, but I’ve never been one to go through a drive-thru. Not my thing. Instead, I just go into my kitchen, gather my tools, and get to work. Have I told you that I’ve never had a Big Mac? That’s right – never! I’m telling you, I like my kitchen and I like my own food.
About my donuts. Or doughnuts. Mr. Google says that waaaaay more people search for “donuts”, and not very many for “doughnuts”.
I used my go-to baked doughnuts recipe for this one and only changed it up a very tiny bit. Also, did you notice that they are without a glaze? I didn’t think they needed it. Truly. These things were amazing without anything more added to it. The bite into the doughnut, and the burst of fresh cherries was enough for me to say, bah bye to the glaze. If you want, you can most definitely use the glaze I used on my Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts with Vanilla Glaze. Which, by the way, are pretty damn awesome.
Now, I hear that this week cherries are on sale… My point is that you need to go to your nearest Market and pick up a pound or two and make these donuts. You will not be disappointed. And you might find yourself near and around them very, very often.
Pssssst! I should also tell you this; Tuesday, August 13th, 2013, this is where you need to be —> OXO’s Facebook Page. Go there and vote for ME! I mean, if you want to, and all… 😉
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted, quartered
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease doughnut pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Place milk, butter, white vinegar, vanilla, and egg in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until butter melts, about one minute. Remove from heat.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until combined.
- Gently fold in cherries.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared doughnut pan. (You may have to do this in batches if your doughnut pan is with fewer than 12 cavities)
- Bake for 13 to 14 minutes, or until doughnuts begin to pull away from pan.
- Remove and let sit for one minute.
- Run a knife around the edges and invert the pan onto a cooling rack.
- While they are cooling, make the vanilla glaze (optional)
Looking for more cherry inspiration? Check out the rest of the #10lbCherryChallenge Participants!