A delicious mixture of basil and cherry pie filling nestled between a sweet and nutty graham cracker crust.
Alright people. It’s Friday. Let’s celebrate with cherries! (?)
It’s not cherry season, I know. But, it’s always canned-cherry-pie-filling season! Right?!
I was at HomeGoods some few weeks ago, shopping around for things I don’t need, when in the corner of my eye I spotted a bag of chocolate covered cherries – I had to have them. I popped ‘em open just as soon as I opened my car door, and as I was popping them in my mouth and forgetting to come up for air, I suddenly had a craving for cherry pie. Go figure.
Thus, last week, during my timeout with the Flu, I decided that I was going to fight back this cold weather and prepare summery desserts and salads. As soon as I was able to part with the couch, I made a big bowl of my Avocado Feta Salsa and stuffed my face until I couldn’t no more…
The following day, I felt a boost of energy and raced to the kitchen to satisfy my craving for cherry pie by making myself a pan of these Basil and Cherry Pie Crumble Bars. There are few things quite as spectacular as a pan of warm, bubbly, cherry pie bars. Soft, sweet, delicious… God bless it, it’s perfect! I like them quite a lot.
They are so simple. It’s your usual graham cracker crust tossed with ground hazelnuts, and a cherry pie filling mixed with basil. It really works. Trust me on this one.
Because the whole nutty graham cracker crust and topping was totally enough, I went ahead and sprinkled some more hazelnuts on top, just in case.
Is it cool that I ate these straight from the pan? Without cutting them into bars?! Yeah…it had to be done.
Is it cool that I also made Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream Cake?? It was good. Reaaaaal good!
HAPPY WEEKEND! ENJOY!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup hazelnuts, ground
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 can (21-ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried basil
- orange zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a 11x7 pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and ground hazelnuts; toss to combine.
- Add melted butter and mix until well incorporated.
- Remove ⅓ of mixture and set aside.
- Press the remaining mixture onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Combine cherry pie filling, dried basil and orange zest in a mixing bowl; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread cherry pie mixture on top of graham cracker crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining graham crackers mixture over the top of the cherry mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped hazelnuts.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into bars.
Cherry Pie Bars from The Recipe Critic
Cherry Pie Bars from Six Sisters’ Stuff
Cherry Bars from Just One Cookbook