Baked Mozzarella Sticks made with a mixture of butter, flour, and shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, served with warmed marinara dipping sauce.
In case you were wondering, the “baked” bit? Yeah. That totally means this is health food. Even if it does require an entire stick of butter.
So, HEY! Happy Sunday, friends! Did you do something fun this weekend?? I’m jealous! We stayed inside because out here, in this lovely state of ours, it feels like December.
I did, however, go out there for just a bit to get some groceries, do my taxes, and pay bills. Umm… and what does that tell you?? That sometimes, these must-do things because you’re an adult, pretty much suck!? Like paying bills. AND taxes. EW! As soon as I got home, I had a glass of wine and watched Friends reruns to remind me of the ’90s. All is well now.
Which brings me to this March Maddening thing. Or was it Madness??
Well, whatever it’s called, I know that it calls for delicious appetizers and these Baked Mozzarella Sticks definitely belong in the delicious department. They.Are.Major.
The buttery dough is beautiful, subtly flavored with garlic powder and parsley flakes. The addition of mozza cheese takes things to amazing! What’s more is that you can actually use whatever type of shredded cheese you got. Fresh shredded parmesan, shredded cheddar, colby, muenster! Whatever you got – it all works. You can also play up the seasonings. I ain’t gonna hate if you change it up. I promise I won’t be mad at cha.
Though, you know what dawned on me? As I was standing there, in the kitchen, rolling cheese-dough in between my hands, I realized that this Winter in Spring thing isn’t so bad after all. It just means that I can still talk to you about warm, baked, comfort food. Then again, fingers crossed, I’m SO ready for summer lunch recipes and chilled mojitos!
Buuuut… mozzarella sticks and mojitos go hand-in-hand. Figuratively and literally. Buhlieve me – I inhaled these sticks with a large glass of a Strawberry Pom Mojito. It was magical.
I feel that I should most definitely tell you NOT to expect a cheese stick. OK? You see, if bread sticks and restaurant-style mozzarella sticks had a baby, this would be IT!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Marinara Sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and grease it with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, butter, cheese, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper in your mixer's bowl.
- Set mixer to low and beat just until combined.
- With floured hands, work the dough with your hands until it holds together.
- Pinch off small pieces of dough and make into lime-sized balls.
- Take the dough ball in between your hands and roll into sticks.
- Place the mozzarella sticks on previously prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and milk.
- Brush the tops of each mozzarella stick with egg mixture.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce.