Baked Chicken Meatballs with Garlic Dill Yogurt Sauce – Tender, juicy, perfectly seasoned baked chicken meatballs topped with a delicious garlic and dill yogurt sauce.
Hi Hi Hello! My dear friends, how are you? Happy Sunday, by the way! I hope it’s a great one!
Also, I know why I’m here today, and I know why you are here, too: because we want to eat something new! Or a spin on the usual tomato sauce and meatballs deal. No worries. You’ve come to the right place, boo!
Trying to rhyme and clearly, I’m no poet. Let me stick to what I know: FOOD! 😎
I made us some baked chicken meatballs that are so incredibly good, you guys! They’re tender, they’re seasoned well, and, most importantly (I think?), they’re not fried! To go with it all, I’ve got this yogurt sauce that is creamy and luscious and garlicky, and it is always a major food feature on our dinner table.
This bowl contains every ingredient for a happy Sunday with Chardonnay on the side. And what if I tell you that it can come together in just about 30 minutes? WHAT A GIFT, right?! Let’s talk about how you need to try it. Today.
Meatballs are the answer to my whiny kids that won’t try anything new. For whatever odd reason, if it’s shaped in a ball, they’ll try it! If they can dunk it in ketchup?? EVEN BETTER! So, because they refused to eat my Garlic Yogurt Baked Chicken a couple of weeks ago, I made these meatballs and what do you know? They loved ’em!
My secret here is a perfect mixture of ground chicken, dried herbs, panko crumbs, onions and garlic. Pretty straight forward and to the point.
…and baked to a browned perfection.
While in the oven, I prepare an amazing yogurt sauce with a good amount of garlic, a nice dose of fresh dill, yogurt, and a bit of olive oil to thin out the yogurt. Sometimes, I use water to thin it out and you can try that, too. The sauce shouldn’t be thick, but rather smooth and pourable, but not necessarily thin. Something between thick and thin, but NOT totally thin. DOES this make sense?!? Shoot me an email if you’re having trouble. 😉
Top this hug-in-a-meatball with the prepared yogurt sauce, a little more dill for garnish, and a glass of Chard on the side. Dinner served.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Baked Chicken Meatballs with Garlic Dill Yogurt Sauce
FOR THE CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper , to taste
FOR THE GARLIC DILL YOGURT SAUCE
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon fresh dill , chopped + more for garnish
- 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, panko bread crumbs, garlic, onion, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into 1-1/2 inch meatballs.
- Transfer the meatballs to previously prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- In the meantime prepare the yogurt sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine garlic, salt, dill, yogurt, and olive oil; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly. I always find that it needs a tad bit more salt.
- Remove chicken meatballs from the oven and let stand couple minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top spoon yogurt sauce over the meatballs.
- Garnish with chopped fresh dill and serve.